Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Bob Griese
Larry Csonka

Stevelyn, I don't know either but one of the defensive ends for the Dolphins of that era, three or four Super Bowl rings later, Vern DenHerder (I want to say, # 87 at the time but am not sure) is a friend of mine. Have heard some interesting stories.

We occasionally hunt pheasants or coyotes together. In '67, his senior year in high school here, the team he was a center on won the state basketball tournament.

He lives in the same community as I, his home town, and still does some farming.

George, when I was in high school, we would to to Buena Vista basketball games. They were played in St. Mary's gym at that time. The seating was quite limited. In a game against Central, we wound up sitting next to the Central players on the bench. Vern fouled out and was, naturally, displeased. He took the end seat on the bench and we kept shoving our friend next to him so that he would bump into Vern. Being the decent sort that he is, he just ignored our foolishness. I also saw him in that state tournament at Vets'. If all NFL players were of his caliber, it would be a better world.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.