Bought a $60 boat compass he advertised as new-in-box. It arrived with large air bubble and scuffs on the once clear dome. Upon returning it to seller, he told me to try to get my refund from PayPal. Now he has both my money and the defective compass.

Following is our unedited (except for name and phone) PM conversation.

(Pal) "I'll take it. Please provide payment info. thanks, (name & phone#)"
(Mac1978) "Hey (name), you ok with paypal?"
(P)) "Sure. What's your PayPal address?"
(M) "xxxxxx--send it as a gift if you don't mind, and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow. What's the shipping address? Thanks, Mac"
(P) "Actually I'd rather not claim that it is a gift."
(M) "Thats fine, im not going to be like one of these morons and cry about 2 bucks"
(P) "PayPal sent. Please ship to: xxxx thanks"
(M) "Its on the way"
(P) "Good man. I'll let you know when it arrives. And I will leave feedback for you."
(M) "Sounds good. Im out of town and had the wife pack and ship it. She usually does a good job, but i have no clue how she sent it. Probably next day air just to piss me off! Haha"
----
(P) "Oh man, I wish you had told me there was a bubble in it."
(M) "A bubble? There was nothing wrong with it. Just send it back, and I'll refund your money."
(M) "I'd buy that compass for 60$ any day.... Send it back, I'd love to have it"
(P) "Thank you. Please provide a return address. The paper wrapper was discarded."
(M) "xxxx I'll issue a refund when it arrives in the same condition that it was shipped in. I'm interested in seeing this "bubble"
(M) "xxxx I spoke with paypal, and they asked me to have you send me photos of the damage before you send it that I could compare with the photos I have of the condition it was in when it was shipped. I just found the detailed photos that I took of it that show the compass fluid and card in new condition."
(P) "Oh boy. PayPal told you to have me photograph it? OK, I'll take photos of the bubble. Also of the bruising on the glass dome. Never figured I'd have such a hassle with a fellow member."
(M) "Yes, they sure did. And obviously by my photos it left in new un damaged condition. So, in order for me to protect myself from refunding money for something that either the shipper or the purchaser damaged PayPal suggested you send photos. Now with all of that cleared up, I would appreciate it if we could drop the childish tone about "hassles" . As far as the "members" of this fine association go....I buy a lot of toys, and the three times that I have been burned were on here. Trust me, I have much more important things to do than to try to bone you out of a 60$ compass for [bleep] sake."
(P) "You have cost me an hour of my life by misrepresenting this compass. So please drop the name calling and vulgarity. It has been returned to the address you provided by USPS, tracking #
9534 6110 6554 4284 4207 39 at a cost to me of $13.38. Attached is a photo which shows the bubble. Below it can be seen two of the worst scuffs in the plastic dome.
[Linked Image]
(M) "I can 100% assure you that that was not there when it was shipped,so if it was damaged in shipping, the packaging will reflect as such. Thanks for a pleasant transaction, have a wonderful day!"
(M) "I can 100% assure you that that was not there when it was shipped,so if it was damaged in shipping, the packaging will reflect as such. Thanks for a pleasant transaction, have a wonderful day!"
(note: duplicate post just as it appeared.)
(P) "USPS tracking shows that you received this yesterday."
(M) "I'm out of town till monday"
(M) "Wife just opened it up and sent photos. It was absolutely not in that condition when it was shipped. I have spoken with PayPal again this morning to try to file a case, but they advise that only a buyer can do so. You should call PayPal and open a claim so that this can be taken care of"
(P) "Hard for me to believe that a fellow member would be so unscrupulous as to cheat me over a $60 purchase. I will take this up with PayPal. And I intend to expose you for the fraud you are, here, on the 'fire."
(M) "I tried to resolve this in a friendly way with you. Even your handwriting suggests an unsteady hand. Do as you wish, im not too concerned with my image on an internet forum full of losers. I do have to believe that you are the cheat on this one."

Original ad.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9201062/Ritchie_HB71_Compass

Beware doing business with this unscrupulous seller.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg