Hi all.
After waiting what seems like my whole life, I recently acquired my dads 300 Savage 99. The serial number is 7363XX and the LBC is 20E. I believe it was made in 1953 in Chicopee Falls, MA. Is that correct and is there anything else you can tell me from the serial number?
Unfortunately, it's not exactly as I remembered it when I last saw it some 50 years ago.
You see my brother hunted with it for a couple of years back in the 80's and it has been in a vinyl, zippered gun case, inside a canvas snowboard bag, in his basement ever since. In a move, he had lost track of it.
Ten years ago, I asked him about it and he reluctantly told me that he didn't know where it was. I was seriously bummed.
But, last weekend he called and said that he had found it!
When he told me where, I knew it was probably ruined. But, when I picked it up, I was very pleasantly surprised. Yes, the stock was very dry with some light colored water spots, the bore and the action were full of fabric dust from the inside of the case and there were a few surface rust spots on the bluing. But, other than that, nothing! After a little cleaning and dusting, a patch or two of Hoppe's 9 and oil down the bore, I'm certain that with the right kind of TLC, I can bring back to most of her former beauty. Can you please recommend the correct method/product to repair the water spots and dried wood? What was the original finish? There are a few scratches on the barrel also. Should I consider having her hot blued?
I have no interest in the resale value. But, I do want to bring her back, hunt with her and someday leave her to my kids.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Fuzz