Having lived in the mid west for many years, I had never hunted deer. My job transferred me to the state of Utah. Upon moving to Utah, a co-worker convinced me to try mule deer hunting so I applied for a tag (which was kind of strange that not everyone could go hunting) and got one. Since I didn't have a rifle, I went to a large retail outdoor store, and asking the opinion of the person behind the counter, I purchased a Remington 700 SPS 7mm Magnum. The rifle sat for many months until I was told by the same co-worker that I needed to put a scope on the rifle. Asking the opinion of another person behind a retail store counter, I purchased a Burris Fullfield II 4.5 x 14 scope. I went to a different retail store and asked what ammunition I should use for hunting mule deer. The person behind this counter suggested Federal Premium 160 gr Nosler Accubond. After going to a range, I sighted the rifle the best I could and after going hunting, hiking up and down mountains for three days and hardly seeing a deer, the season was over. My question (and sorry this is taking so long) is what kind of set up as far as rifle, scope and ammo do I have? For all I know, it could the greatest combination or it could be the worst. I really don't have any idea. Any help would be great. Thank you.