We left for our annual moose hunt on October 18th, it gave us a few days to find a good camp spot and a bit of scouting before the opening on the 20th. I ended up walking the same trail I had found last year, lots of moose signs and several swamps and ponds. This year lots of blow downs across the trail prevented ATV's from driving too far in it so, on foot, I had the whole place to myself.

On the third day, I took the path of the main trail that led to one of the ponds. As I approached the pond I saw this small bull in the water on the far side. We saw each other at the same time. He started trotting away to the shore and in the tall grass. I had the VX3 already on 2.5 and quickly found the bull in the crosshair as I took a knee. Gave him a bit of a lead and fired. At the shot I saw him drop like a bag of hammer, never to budge again.

Upon closer examination, it looks like I gave him more lead than required at only about 75 yds and the 250gr TTSX hit him in the neck which explained the reaction at the shot. Straight through, obviously, and a smashed neck.

Not a huge test for the mighty .375 Ruger but I'll take it anyway. This short compact rifle was a pleasure to carry and felt lighter than it actually was.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger;
McMillan Mark II Classic in GAP camo;
Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 in Ruger low rings;
Bedded and action smoothed by Guntech;
Barnes 250TTSX pushed by 83.5gr of H4350 @ 2750fps

[Linked Image]