Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by zeissman
I use an expensive Norbar 1/4" torque wrench which is accurate to 4%, only because I've had it for years. I can't see why either the Wheeler or Weaver is just as good as any out there for scope ring torqueing. It's not a critical application. Lubricating the screws is important though as dry screws will give high readings when they not properly torqued.

If one lubes the threads of a fastener then the torque needs to be decreased. If you lube the threads on a ring-cap screw and tighten it to the specs given by the manufacturer you will be over-torquing the screw. I researched this subject after it was mentioned in a thread. If you Google it, you can find tables that give you dry-torque values and the corresponding lubed-torque values.

You're quite correct. I always thought it was the other way around but Googled the tables as you suggested and about a 25% reduction in torque values should be applied to oiled screws.

Thanks for the information.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal