Originally Posted by tmitch
That's just a cool rifle! Cor-Bon sold a load using a Barnes 100gr X-Bullet that would work well on deer at reasonable range.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I want to try those too. I've always been leery as to whether the various .30 Carbine soft point loads would actually expand enough to be effective. The Winchester hollow point would probably expand most readily but would it offer enough penetration? The Hornady FTX loads I have should surely expand well seeing that they are intended for defense against two legged varmints, but again, I'm wondering about penetration. Hope to find out. I have no intention of using this rifle for general deer hunting and only intend to shoot a doe or two if I can get a clear broadside lung shot at something around 50 yards. Any of the expanding loads should suffice under those circumstances. That Cor-Bon load would probably be the best and I intend to get a box or two when my distributor gets them back in. The Speer Gold Dot load is another one I intend to try, although it "looks" like any of the other standard soft points.