My friend bought an as new Hunter Stainless 75 without the lock in 300win. Shot very well with factory stuff and handloads. More like a 5 shots in an inch at 100m rather than just 3 shots. But the recoil was a bit much for my friend and he traded it on a 308 Rem PSS (he regrets not keeping it now). man what a disappointment the PSS was, after we had heard all about the accuracy of the Rem 700 action and especially this model. Barrel fouled like crazy and accuracy was more like 3-4 MOA.

We we got it gunsmithed & found that only 1 lug was contacting and only about 25% at that. There was also a problem in that one of the mount screws was contacting the bolt enough to scratch it (Leupold mounts). Anyway it now shoots OK(MOA with handload 5 shots) - but my point is generally Sako's don't need anything to shoot good, not even a trigger job.

Having said that given the choice I prefer the older 2 lug Sakos to the 75 just like Aussie. I also don't like the detachable mag (although it is probably one of the best of that type as you can still load from the top). Don't like the detachable lug either although it seems to make no difference on accuracy. My old 2 lug L691 has this feature & still shoots beautifully.

If you want an accurate rifle out of the box with no "customising" to do then no the Sako is not overrated.

Regards
JohnT