Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by roosterhuntin
Another question. What is the difference in 99A, 99C, 99E I saw one say 99CD. There seems to be a few on gunbroker in 308 that I have my eye on, within my price range.

Thanks Guys, I have the urge for a lever action.

308's were introduced in the Savage 99 line in 1956. Ones made from '56 to '59 are the most desirable from a collector point of view, and probably have the best fit and finish and are all hand made. 1960 and on they used more stamped parts and switched all models except the 99E to a tang safety.

The 99C's and 99CD's have a removable magazine, holds 4 in the mag and one in the chamber. All other models have a rotary magazine and differ mostly on the stock and barrel. A 99F would be a featherweight with a featherweight barrel, a 99E probably has the shortest barrel at 20", etc. Some models are VERY hard to find, such as a 99EG or 99R in 308. Others are verey easy to find, such as a 99E or 99C in 308.

I much prefer the rotary magazine, and given a choice for a hunting 99 in 308 I would look for a pre-1960 99F with lever safety or a 1960's 99DL with a monte carlo stock and tang safety. Just my preference though.

I love this guy. grin He hit it. Late 1950's lightweight 99F in 308 or Early 1960's 99DL (marked 99M) tang safety model. Both are lightweights, DL has a Monte Carlo stock for better scope alignment. I have found either model for less than $500 in excellent shape. If you want a true collector gun, lay for the 308 in a 99R or EG. It will take awhile. 99R has pregnant stock dimensions front and back, 99EG has the curved schnable forearm and slim buttstock.

The thing about a Savage vs. most others, is you can run almost any pointy bullet you want, accuracy and trigger are great, resale is there, no stupid hammer to deick with when jumpshooting game or hunting with a scoped rifle.

I'd never buy a Winchester mushtrigger 88 when I could own a Savage.

LOL