Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Royce: I am one of THE biggest critics of the now green leaning Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks, and have been for several years now.
BUT... I think the single reference without prooof being provided "that some game wardens are herding Elk onto private property for outfitters" is just to much to swallow!
I began Hunting in Montana in 1969 and to see what Elk Hunting in so many areas of Montana, has turned into, especially over the last 10 years, is simply SICKENING!
Several of my non-resident friends and Hunting partners have QUIT buying the Montana Big Game Combo licenses and I can NOT blame them and their reasons (Wolves, outfitters, private land hold-outs etc etc etc) for doing so.
I have another non-resident friend who is now plying me to Hunt Elk from my home in SW Montana next year and I just refuse to be part of it!
The fact we would have to drive by SEVERAL private off limits type ranches, with huge healthy herds of Elk on them, to get to their former foothill haunts where VERY few Elk spend any time is just to much for me to bear. I know him well and he would he would bemoan his paying well over $900.00 to drive by these Elk and NOT be able to Hunt them - til I would vomit.
No thanks.
Many local folks I know do partake of the "chasing" of Elk as they get near private property fences and when some Elk make a mistake and step a foot off of these private ranches the "onslaught" ensues - thats NOT Hunting to me.
Seeing and hearing about Elk being shot from firing lines and running the gaunlets is just not my idea of sport Hunting or ethical Hunting.
Sadly more and more of Montana is being turned into this type of Hunting.
I personally have not been able to see this Canyon Ferry situation for myself but have heard of it.
This past Saturday at daybreak I headed off on a 330 mile drive here in SW Montana - I attended a gunshow in Hamilton, Montana. Our Elk season had been over for a week and on my drive I saw numerous Elk herds in five different huge valleys during my circle drive - ALL of those Elk were on private property!
Figure this in before anyone buys a "non-resident" Elk licene for Montana.
Thanks for the link.
Thanks for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hunting Montana since 1969 you should have some of the basics figured out by now. Ya see this time of year elk are on the winter range and winter range in western Montana is generally private. More lessons to follow. Sheesh!