What are "detents" and why does it matter? Such sights are marked low to high, so you are at higher numbers as elevation is raised.

Your lowest point is wherever your rifle hits to point of aim, at the nearest distance you shoot. Maximum height is more critical, because it limits the maximum range you can get on to with the sight. That's why most makers offer low, medium, and high vernier sights.

FWIW, my 45-70 can easily get to 1000 yards with my midrange Hoke. I've shot it to 1500 with a long range vernier.

I honestly believe you guys are overthinking this, wanting to measure marks on your sight, and calculating values and movement.

I'm no hot shot or guru, but I've been fairly successful in BPCR competition. I concentrate on knowing my rifle, establishing sight settings empirically, meaning by actual shooting. In matches I establish a prevailing wind zero, then make most of my windage adjustments by feel, believe it or not. You don't have time to screw around with tables and calculations during a match, and you damned sure can't while hunting.

Just get out there and shoot, and keep good notes. Have fun!

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.