Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Vortex is the first place I look for glass....currently using

2-3 PST's...couple HS-T's along with a couple HS-LR's....

Razor bins.....never a moments problem....

If you don't mind... Could you share some details. I.e.- rifles, mounts, round counts, zeroing procedures, testing, frequency of zero conformation, what kind of use (abuse) do they see and do you check zero after drops, car rides, Etc.

Originally Posted by Enrique
I am actually pretty happy with my Vortex. I have had a couple set of Bino's, the Vultures and the Kaibab series. Both have nice glass. I had the Vultures fail me but I sent them back and got em fixed. No issues since.
The scopes, we went cheap and got a few of those Crossfire scopes Doug had on sale a few years ago. The 6-24 I think it is, is mounted on my best friends 7mag. 7 deer later and longest shot being over 600 yards, we aren't complaining too much lol. I mounted one of the 4-16s on my 25-06 and after zeroing it in, I noticed a spec of dust inside on the lense. The scope functions nice but that spec bothers me so it has to go back.
because I like how these low end Vortex have worked out, love the warranty concept, and feel their customer service is outstanding with the couple calls I have made and numerous emails, and have had minimal issues, I am looking to get a Viper HS for my 300 mag. I am hoping they have made improvements on the Viper scopes. Reading online on forums like this one, I have read numerous people complaining about the Viper and Viper PST. Some send em back and get them fixed and sell em and others have remounted and been happy.

Kique

Genuine question,

Why after a 50% return for service rate, would you want to spend more money on them? Granted, the speck on the glass may or may not be a real issue, but I'd bet money that there's more than that going on.

No one, and I mean- no one, would be ok with a rifle make/model that didn't fire 20-30% of the time straight from the factory. No one would be ok with about any other product that had as many reviews of problems, as they are with Vortex.

Because the Bino's were fixed and have worked flawlessly since, the spec in the lense hasn't affected its tracking that I know of. I get bothered looking at it, thats why its going back. If it didn't bother me, I wouldn't send it back since the scope works well.
I like the glass, I think they are clear and have worked well for me. If they sent em back and they didn't work or failed again, I wouldn't spend more money on them. But since they work well that's why I keep using em and spending money.
What has really changed my mind on buying based on reviews is the fact that my family for many years and I am sure many of you guys had bought various items without reviews. We talked to people that had em and went by that. it wasn't until the internet that we started reading reviews and getting sensitive to others thoughts. How we survived buying items without reviews is besides me. No wonder Tasco, Bushnell and others that are low end are still in business. In this case, I am happy with the optics Vortex puts out and I can deal with issues as long as they are not a trend and as long as they get fixed. Warranty is big to me because I tend to break stuff putting em thru the test.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1