Originally Posted by Ringman
smokepole,

Seems that if you have a decent set of binos, and you're already on the animal, the need to use a rifle scope to see if you want to shoot would be minimized.

You are correct for most of hunting. If you don't mind, read the three examples I gave. No matter how good your 7X or 8X binos they would not work in the scenarios. I compared a $2,340 Swarovski 8.5X binoculars with a 10X Tasco scope and the Tasco won for showing the most detail. When something reaches its limit, it has reached its limit. When something is good enough it is good enough.

While i normally wouldnt jump into a thread about optics, in this case, i have a different opinion that reflects that we are all different with how our eyes see things.

I was at a local sporting goods store and got to compare some Vortex 8x42 binos and a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42. I was looking at a binocular chart with pictures of animals and terrain features on it. With the binos, i was able to see more. Just a better FOV i guess, and the scope, while good, took more magnification to see the same things.

I will openly say that i dont know what caused that, but i am convinced i need a set of binos now.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )