Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by pinotguy
I'm in the biz and "Yes", this truly is the "Golden Age" for American bourbons. By and large, forget about Pappy, Orphan Barrel, and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection stuff these days. Can't find it and, if you do, you'll pay through the nose. Incredibly over-priced, at least for the time being. This phenomenon is even spilling over into "every day" bourbons - Weller Antique 107, Weller 12 Year, Basil Hayden's, etc. Hell, this past Fall, I grabbed a bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon for about $44 and could have easily flipped it for $250 - $300 on the gray market. Chose to hold on to it and am enjoying it slowly, as I think I'm appreciating it for the right reasons.

Bottom line - it is pure insanity right now when it comes to "collectible" bourbons. This will pass but it may take a while. As noted earlier, the Asian market isn't helping things. They caused a stir about 8 - 10 years ago with Bordeaux/Burgundy but that bubble eventually burst, so things should return to normal. Here's hoping, at least.

Interesting. My family is big time "in the biz" and have no problem at all getting me any of the Pappy's, Blanton's, Col E.H. Taylor, Eagle Rare, Booker's, and all the misc "small batches" etc, etc at a pretty good discount.... maybe a regional thing?

You must be in the Ohio, TN or KY regions because that's where it all turns up. I have all those names you mentioned but most came out of Nashville to Louisville areas. I also have a few store owner/mgr guys in VA and SC that take care of me. VA is great because it's state control so they contain the markup. No surprise to walk in and see 20 bottles of Elmer T on sale at 29 bucks. 75 on the net! eek

FWIW---Do not buy the new purple bottle of Black Maple Hill out of Oregon. It sucks. Old red label only!! Those guys really screwed up.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!