For me the solution depends on what I am carrying and where I am. The safepacker's one big advantage is that it hides the weapon so you don't wig out the natives.

I have a Galico thumbbreak for my S&W 360 and I can wear it on my belt or on the hipbelt of my pack. I use the straps that snug the pack to the hipbelt to secure the holster on my hiking pack. I wanted the thumbbreak because when its on my pack I can't feel the gun and I didn't want to drop it and not know. Its a simple, fairly cheap system, but requires you to have a way to attach it the hipbelt.

I also have two guides choice chest holsters (one for my bisley 45/single 6 and the other for my 1911's). To my mind,except for the ability to hide the fact I am carrying a firearm, this is the superior set up, first it carries the weight of the firearm better than my hip, I can wear the same set up, pack/no pack without the hassle of moving the holster and its always on the outside even if I wear a rain jacket or parka. Because of where the firearm rides I would notice it if it did come out of the holster (although the holster does have a retention strap).

I make and modify gear when it doesn't suit me and I have given some thought of whipping up the same strap system that the Guides choice uses using some 1" nylon, to covert my safepacker into a "chest" holster. This might be the best of both worlds for hiking among the libs. It might work well for carry in the civilized world in the summer. These days 95% of folks would just take the safepacker as a phone/pad case

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge