Originally Posted by BobinNH

It all depends on what we are ready, willing,and able to carry. wink

Yes good post as always. However, I submit there is something else to consider. These remote unsupported hunts rely on what you have with you for your creature comforts or even survival. The obvious fact is that what you are carrying is not only your rifle/scope combo but a backpack filled with "necessities". I believe it is more important to consider the weight of the "total package" rather than just dwell on the weight of the rifle. Yes I realize this is the rifle lunacy we crave but you are your own "sherpa"! There is no reason not to have a solid 7# "all-up" performing rifle.

I know from past practices that what I carry out on Day 1 of the hunt is not what I leave the tent with on Day 2. In other words, I cull out the extraneous items as a luxury not a necessity. Obviously that equates to less bulk and weight. There is also a need to consider a lighter empty backpack - as long as it fits and performs to your needs.

Also lets consider your physical fitness and overall weight. You are at your peak performance potential on Day 1. After that, the accumulated physical effects add up. Not to mention different foods and sleeping arrangements.

In other words, everything that goes on your back should be considered, not just the rifle. You will hunt as far as what your feet will "tell you". So... just how "good" are those boots?

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/28/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.