I realize this thread has been down for two weeks, but since I said I would report back on my American's mechanical problem (the floppy fore end), here it is.

I put some steel bed in the five inches of the fore end. (Starting at the tip.)It added two ounces to the rifle. But, the problem with the stock tapping the barrel and getting two groups is gone.

I made it to the range yesterday. It was WINDY. 10-15 and gusts. It was coming down the mountain at me and causing some weird vertical in all four rifles I shot. I tried to shoot between gusts, but it was impossible and you can see some extra vertical in the targets.

The before picture is further up the thread. Here is the same load. I switched scopes and the first picture says "sighter", and the bullet hole on the bottom right is my first shot. I corrected up and left and shot the four round group.
The second pic is of the same load, but seated deeper. Then there are two loads with Varget. I am certain the groups would be better on a less windy day.

For the cost, I'm very happy with the rifle. The "fix" cost $6 and a few minutes.

The dots are one inch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by IDMilton; 02/06/15. Reason: spelling

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221