Originally Posted by john843
Drano, You can do the reverse of what you're talking about-adapt a 1 pc. inletted stock to accept 2 pc. bottom metal by just using the delrin (nylon?) spacer made for that purpose. If you want to make a 2 pc. stock take 1 pc. BM, the stock will definitely have to be re-inletted to accept the thicker 1 pc. unit. It can be done but you will need to be extra handy with a dremel. You'll end up having to remove almost as much material as was taken out in the original inlet. Also, the wood to metal fit won't be exact, as the shape of the forward end of the two bottom metals are slightly different. Started to tackle this myself once but found it was more inletting than I wanted to attempt. All stocks pretty much since 2001 or 2002 have been produced 1 pc. so a reasonable replacement ought to be fairly easy to find. Try Numrich or CDDN.
John

Thanks for the info. Not sure I will tackle that. The stock is a McMillan Hunter with edge fill and I don't want to screw it up. Rifle is a custom barreled classic stainless in 280AI. I also have a classic stainless in 243. When I order a stock for it, I want to be sure to get one for the one pc and use the PTG unit.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.