Originally Posted by wwy
YNP and GTNP are administered and governed by the National Park Service (federal). The Wyoming Game and Fish is a State agency (State). Game and Fish doesn't manage bears in National Parks, therefore the State's numbers don't reflect what the
feds are doing inside the park. I put the link to the state's numbers as this was a post about elk hunting on lands which the WGFD manages wildlife (including grizzly bears). Except under rare exceptions the parks and the states don't swap or take bears from one another. If you want to argue that than have fun arguing with yourself. I'm just not that big into arguing conspiracy theories.

Here are numbers for the entire Yellowstone area:

http://www.nrmsc.usgs.gov/files/norock/products/IGBST/2013report.pdf

Start looking about page 5.

You must have great eyesight as I have a hell of a time seeing through a solid metal trap to tell what's inside of it. All I can tell is if it has a bear in it or not (tarp on the door or no tarp). Those guys (I know a few of them) do a lot of running in the spring, summer, and fall and they usually have a trap on the back. P.S. they move a few black bears around too and some folks have a tough time telling the difference.
With the parks numbers added to the states numbers that is a pretty good number of bear trappings.
When I was working in grand tetons we were surveying in the middle of the road and I was about 5 feet from all passing traffic in both directions. The traps have openings in them enuff to see in. And yes I can tell the difference between a black bear and a grizzly.
Thank you for the park link as it very informative.