When I went out to get the mail on this drizzley afternoon I caught the sight of a big bird in my peripheral vision flying around the corner of the house, headed toward the back yard. Got inside and went to the patio to see if it had perched in one of the trees. Saw no sign, so I thought I'd go out to check the rain gauge. Got as far as the edge of the patio and saw this guy sitting by the back fence feeding on a critter of some sort. Boy was I surprised!!! Went back inside and told my bride to come out and look what found us. We proceeded to watch the feeding for about 30 minutes. My wife asked what the bird was eating and I said I thought it was a squirrel. She relied "Not my squirrel! (insert shriek)" - I quickly countered with "Maybe a mouse or a mole" - She hopes it was a mole.

Anyway, it is the biggest bird I have ever seen this up close and "in the wild". I think it is a juvenile Bald Eagle, but could be a Cooper's Hawk or some-such. So, if I am wrong, what is it?

BTW - the flat stone in the first and second picture (perpendicular to the fence) is about 7 inches long and the verts of the fence are 2 inches center to center and the bird is 18 to 20 inches away from the fence..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member