I think there are lessons here, but it has little to do with whether you carry a gun with a round chambered or not.

1. My first knife fighting/defense instructor was a young ex-SF guy who had seen enough and become a private citizen. He had a lot of real word experience and the visible scars to show for it. He taught and practiced Aikido ("becuase in a fight the last thing I want to do is stand on one leg while I try to kick somebody!"), which is where I met him. He told us that the first thing to know about knife fighting is that it is more nasty than you can even imagine and you should avoid it at all costs. The second thing is that if you get into a knife fight, you are going to get cut. Get used to the idea now. You will get cut. So, going for your gun may not be the best thing to do when someone is coming after you with a knife. It might be better to put some distance and some obstacles between you and him. That might give you some time to deploy your weapon. And you will likely still get cut.

2. Having a gun, even if you are really good with it, is not a magical formula for surviving violent encounters with determined and ruthless people. The gun is a force multiplier for sure if you can deploy it. It potentially gives you an edge that might make the difference. We used to be asked this all the time as martial arts instructors: "So, you're a black belt which means you can kick anybody's ass, right?" Wrong. If you know how to fight it just gives you the tools to make the choice to fight. Same thing with a gun. It doesn't mean you will always win. There are guys out there who have spent the last 10 years in a prison where they took and dished out more pain before breakfast than you have in your entire life.

Just my thoughts.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried