Good evening,

Yesterday I dropped off my Grandpa's JC Higgins Model 51 in .06 off at a local gunsmith. As most of you know it was built with an FN Belgian action and with a HS chrome lined barrel. The rifle has seen a lot of use over the years. The rifle is in great condition all things considered, I was a little bit of an idiot using it as a teenager but it survived being stolen by a family member and pawned and returned luckily. On the list is..

-Restore the cracked walnut stock as close to new as possible. As far as a finish I might go a little darker than original. The stock will be stored and maybe used at times but I just received a hogue overmold stock that will take on duty as the primary stock.

-The rifles iron sights are being removed as they have never been used and more space for a larger scope will be available.

-Install new Timney blue trigger.

-The bolt is going to be gone through and inspected

-It is undecided at this time if the barrel will cut down to 20 inches from 22 but it for sure be turned in the lathe to freshen up the crown.

-A 3 position safety is being sourced to allow for better scope options as the factory safety does not fully engage due to scope.

-After a long discussion about finish I opted to go with a flat black duracoat. The bolt will remain in the white as it came from the factory.

I would like some help sourcing a 3 position safety. I have been strongly considering the PTG 3 position safety. http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com...fo&cPath=308_49&products_id=1030

I am totally open to recommendations about the safety so please chime in about anything and everything.

Please recommend better scope bases. I am currently running weaver #45 and #46 bases but I am looking at a new larger scope. I want the scope to sit as low place as possible.

Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by OR2BAJA; 03/19/15.