Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by whelennut
I can only think of one weakness in the design of a 1911 pistol.
If you push the pistol until the end of the barrel contacts something it will unlock the pistol and it will not fire.

As will any semi-auto with a proper disconnector.

FWIW, this can be overcome by holding your thumb against the back of the slide enough to keep it in battery. It obviously won't cycle for the second shot, but if one shot can help you create distance off a bad guy you can clear the malfunction and keep working.

An exposed hammer would complicate this, so that seems like a pretty objective potential weakness of the 1911s exposed hammer......In a scenario that has 1/1,000,000,000 chances of happening.

…..best of the poor practices is to keep the slide safety on….depress and hold the trigger to the rear…….doesn't matter if the muzzle is pushed against something or not…….take off the slide safety and the gun goes off…….poor practice at best however.

…..I don't have a dog in this fight……I've come to like Glocks quite a bit….having said that, I've had as many or more FTF's, double feeds and parts breakage on my Glocks than I have on my 1911's.

Discussions like this one are the intellectual equivalent of "Ginger or MaryAnne" arguments.

Last edited by gmoats; 03/20/15.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.