Newguy
<br>It can be done and well with patience. I would suggest you find someone closer to you to get some tips from while you start... the printed word is a tough way to go about learning such a total hands-on thing. I would be happy to try to talk you through the tough parts by electrons, mail or phone, for whatever that would be worth.
<br>
<br>I have shown a number of folks how to build a stock in person and the successes far out-number the failures. I was fortunate to have a stock-maker father who stood behind my elbow for many hours. If I heard it once, I heard it a thousand times, from him, "there is still a nicely shaped stock hidden in there."
<br>
<br>A cross bolt might be a good idea, but that is a long way down the road. One of the real beauties of building a rifle stock for a big bore such as yours is the ease with which you can build in a little cast-off to tame recoil a bunch. The last rifle I stocked was a 375AI and I have been totally amazed at how gently it shoots due to the stock design. The first range session included 37 rounds from the thing with out any added padding and there was zero discomfort or soreness the next day.
<br>
<br>Do you have tools and a blank? Feel free to contact me with any questions...
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.