Don't think this reply was intended for me. But, I never stated anything about "dot covers up the reticle"
From what I see, of the scope R2 1.7-10x42 that I have the dot size is excellent for hunting, as it is intended.

The 4C is a floating dot, and the dot / aiming point is the same size whether illuminated or not.

I also have a 4C in an R2, 1-6x24. I like the reticle.
I have several lower powered, non-illuminated, 1st focal plane scopes; the 4C illuminated makes the use of the lowest power in dimmer light much more user friendly.

But, with illumination for an aiming point, it matters not if any of the rest of the reticle is visible or not, regardless of 1st or 2nd focal. This is not addressing canting of the rifle, just the aiming point.

I think the dot size is excellent for my hunting.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I really don't understand this "dot covers up the reticle" business. The way I see it, you use the regular reticle in the daylight which is fine for targets, game, etc, and you use the red dot when hunting game, at which time unless you're hunting grasshoppers I don't see how the dot can possibly cover up a kill zone....????? What am I missing?