Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

OP said he was interested in shooting 160's, as I said I am not familiar with all the stats but I was just thinking that bullets around 160 in a 30 cal would be shorter than bullets around 160 in a 7mm, thus giving more mag length to play with seating depth.

Please excuse the newby remarks, I'm trying to learn which is why I'm asking.

RH, no need to be excused, my remarks were offered to clarify.

Thing is a 165 in a 30 cal is really not the same as a 160 in a 7mm... a closer comparison, as Jordan and I both pointed out, is a 30 cal/180 in terms of performance.

My experience with 160's in the 7-08 MT is (using most powders appropriate to it) there's enough room in the case to seat those 160's to the same OAL as 165's in the 308, ie 2,820"-ish (in other words, seated to fill the Kimber magazine).

And interestingly, the 160's in the 7-08 will generally be closer to the lands than the 165 of like build in the 308... because, of course, the SAAMI throat in the 308 Win is looooong because its chamber was standardized using 180 RN bullets.

Here's my Kimber 7-08 in action this year:

[Linked Image]

My favorite Kimber Montana in 308 Win:

[Linked Image]

Thanks for clearing that up Brad. I hadn't even thought about the SAAMI throat being speced for 180's.