I wanted to post a warning to members on a problem I'm having with a USA based custom rifle builder, Carolina Precision Rifles. I've had the build two rifles in the past a Ruger #1 in 35 Whelen and a little Remington model 7 in 300 RSAUM. Both where done really well.

I've been told that the founder John Lewis has cancer. Someone who claims to be his brother "Brian Lewis" is operating the shop and at best the place has fallen apart. I actually think it might be full scale fraud and the company maybe defunct and has been hacked.

I shipped two rifles to them (9.3x62 and 375 Win) and paid for custom builds for them. They offer a 10% discount if you pay in advance and I foolishly did so to the tune of $4,200. The have missed shipment dates and the promised revise delivery dates. They also promised to send me a personal loaner Ruger #1 in 7mm ultra mag for long range hunt I have planned. The rifle never showed.

It seems like classic internet fraud. Just keep making promises and push the confrontation down the road hoping to lure in more victims.

I have gone to the police and will file a stolen priority report with them and the ATF but it looks like my rifles are long gone as well as my $4,200. I feel really stupid for falling for this but I had such good interactions with John Lewis that I let my guard down.