Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I happily stand corrected, kg. I was going by what I'd seen on travel shows.

Funny thing, I saw Spam Musubi for sale exactly once, while at the USS Missouri. And I wanted to try it, but had to hurry for the bus.

In fact, the lack of the promised "local foods" promised by the ship was my major disappointment. With the exception of fresh pineapple, there was nothing but standard US foods. They were good, but when I travel to Hawaii I don't want to eat the same things I could find in Iowa. Such fare shouldn't be the only thing offered (I realize there are folks who are timid eaters) but they could at least have offered more adventurous choices to those who want it.

Photos coming today. Still adjusting to the time shift...
There's lots of "local grinds" to be found around Hawaii if you have the time to find it. Unfortunately being part of a large tour doesn't afford you the opportunity to go off on your own that much. I've spent a bunch of time in Hilo lately and eating "local" there is pretty easy if one is so inclined.....in Kona, not so much. My son, who attends UH Manoa, says some of the best local food comes from the food trucks set up on campus. On his college student budget I thinks he's becoming quite the connoisseur of saimin. grin Looking forward to those pics!