Originally Posted by jimmyp
no words of Wisdom on a 50mm and 1 inch tube, but there is nothing to understand other than I wanted to have one and have shot a lot of animals with it. Do the 50's break more easily? Maybe, but I have used it a lot as well.

IIRC I have broken at least once every single variable scope I have ever owned with one exception, which sucked optically, but maybe they fixed that now (older NXS1-4).

Get out and shoot your guns, burn some powder, break some scopes, more fun to do, than to discuss.

The 50mm scopes do not break any more easily than any others. It sorta comes down to how a scope is built.

I have seen a fair amount of stuff take a dive and I can't easily correlate it to size or weight. The only Kahles that crapped out on me some years ago was a CL 3-9x42 which as fixed, although the distributor at the time (Legacy Sports) did not exactly distinguished itself.

The last scope I had to send in for repair was a tiny Burris Compact 4x20 that was still made in the US. It finally gave up the ghost, but Burris had it back to me in less than two weeks.

Overall, I have definitely seen more broken variable scopes than fixed power scopes, but I have generally seen a lot more variable scopes than fixed power scopes, so that is not surprising.

Oh, and all the new NXS scopes I have seen looked like the glass was improved.

ILya