Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What's the likelihood that we'll see lead-free bullets designed to shed weight? I don't just mean losing a petal or two, but something like the lead-free barnes and nosler varmint bullets that have a core of copper fragments, but designed for medium to large game with the fragments in the front third to half. They would probably be expensive and difficult to manufacture, but I don't know anyone who punches paper or steel with barnes anyway.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd assume anything is possible. I've yet to have a problem killing anything with ones that don't 'fragment'.

Bone is your friend.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I agree it's absolutely possible, no assumption required, was just curious if any of the gunwriters had any advance/inside info that such a design was being considered. For what it's worth, everything I've shot with a barnes has died within a few feet, and a few seconds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cast10K
I agree it's absolutely possible, no assumption required, was just curious if any of the gunwriters had any advance/inside info that such a design was being considered. For what it's worth, everything I've shot with a barnes has died within a few feet, and a few seconds.

With that type of result - what's the advantage to changing them then?

Me

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What's the likelihood that we'll see lead-free bullets designed to shed weight? I don't just mean losing a petal or two, but something like the lead-free barnes and nosler varmint bullets that have a core of copper fragments, but designed for medium to large game with the fragments in the front third to half. They would probably be expensive and difficult to manufacture, but I don't know anyone who punches paper or steel with barnes anyway.

CEBs are designed to lose all four petals, but I don't see an advantage to that. I have killed a lot of deer with TSX/TTSX E-tips/GMXs and none of them have given me any concern whatsoever after they hit meat. IMO they all work better than any comparable cup and core bullet in terms of consistency, their ability to work at point blank range and still function perfectly at moderate range. Once you get to 400 yards, I do not trust them to have a good margin for error. They are out at the limits of where they will expand well depending on the bullet and load.

I suppose it would be a pretty simple thing to put maybe half a dozen segments of copper rod/wire into a jacket that would rupture on impact and release them, but why? It would seem to be next to impossible to better the wound channel of a well expanded (mushroomed) bullet that stays intact and cavitates all the way through.

I guess that you could probably create a big enough "hole" that it rivals what happens to small varmints with fast cup and core bullets. You can virtually disintegrate them. But for something you intend to eat What's the good in that? For varmints we won't be eating, we already have bullets to do that. You can make an impressive hole in a coyote with a 243 and a 58 grain VMax at close range.

I shot four deer with Barnes T-EZ bullets last fall, all inside fifty yards. They all hit the ground where they stood and that was it. All through the shoulders. Wrecked more meat than was necessary. Nasty holes in the deer. All the way through. Pretty fair approximation of overkill. One doe ~150 lbs, two fawns <100 Lbs and one fawn ~110 lbs.

Last edited by MILES58; 06/10/15.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a gun writer but Cutting Edge Bullets already have this technology in the Copper Raptor and their ESP Raptor.

I have only shot 1 coyote and 1 whitetail doe with the 55 ESP Raptor at 3900 out of a 6-284 but both were DRT.

I believe Mule Deer has used them?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Remington tried that technology 20 years ago with their Copper Solid shotgun slugs.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And?

I have been shooting "petal" type bullets, and watching companions do the same, into big game since the first Barnes X-Bullets appeared in the late 1980's. The others have included Winchester Fail Safes, Nosler E-Tips, Hornady GMX's and Cutting Edge Raptors.

When Randy Brooks first started making X-Bullets he didn't really care of they retained their petals, as long as they penetrated sufficiently. But by then some hunters had been convinced (partly by Bob Hagel's book) that the more weight retained by expanded bullets the better they killed. So he kept tweaking the X's until they retained all their petals. Usually, anyway.

The only difference I've seen in such bullets is that those that retain their petals occasionally don't kill very quickly. As a result, I'd prefer bullets that lose their petals, especially on deer-sized game.

But there are a bunch of people out there who think 100% weight retention is The Only Answer, apparently because there are a bunch of people out there looking for The Only Answer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Isn't there a European one where the petals are designed to break off? Privi or something like that.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would assume that we will indeed see a fragmenting core non-toxic bullet.

Make the back half a solid, and the front end a large cupful of fragmenting copper. Pretty much a Partition-like bullet with no lead in it.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Thats not due to barnes alone, thats due to shot placement.

And I shoot barnes almost exclusively on game.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MILES58

CEBs are designed to lose all four petals, but I don't see an advantage to that. I have killed a lot of deer with TSX/TTSX E-tips/GMXs and none of them have given me any concern whatsoever after they hit meat. IMO they all work better than any comparable cup and core bullet in terms of consistency, their ability to work at point blank range and still function perfectly at moderate range. Once you get to 400 yards, I do not trust them to have a good margin for error. They are out at the limits of where they will expand well depending on the bullet and load.

I suppose it would be a pretty simple thing to put maybe half a dozen segments of copper rod/wire into a jacket that would rupture on impact and release them, but why? It would seem to be next to impossible to better the wound channel of a well expanded (mushroomed) bullet that stays intact and cavitates all the way through.

I guess that you could probably create a big enough "hole" that it rivals what happens to small varmints with fast cup and core bullets. You can virtually disintegrate them. But for something you intend to eat What's the good in that? For varmints we won't be eating, we already have bullets to do that. You can make an impressive hole in a coyote with a 243 and a 58 grain VMax at close range.

I shot four deer with Barnes T-EZ bullets last fall, all inside fifty yards. They all hit the ground where they stood and that was it. All through the shoulders. Wrecked more meat than was necessary. Nasty holes in the deer. All the way through. Pretty fair approximation of overkill. One doe ~150 lbs, two fawns <100 Lbs and one fawn ~110 lbs.

I've found Barnes to kill well, well beyond 400 in a 338 win mag 225s... out just past 800. To much is put into this instant kill stuff, put a hole in vitals and 99.9% of the time stuff dies.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495

I've found Barnes to kill well, well beyond 400 in a 338 win mag 225s... out just past 800. To much is put into this instant kill stuff, put a hole in vitals and 99.9% of the time stuff dies.

Well said.

Why have a mono that fragments anyway when we have so many C&C bullets that do exactly that already?

If it's extra penetration after fragmentation that the OP is looking for,we've had that design around for over 60 years. They call it a Nosler Partition.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In most of Europe almost all hunting is done on private land, and the game belongs to the landowner, who can legally sell the meat. The agreement between hunter and landowner varies, but if the hunter wants the meat they pay extra for it.

The meat is a marketable commodity, so they don't "shoot for bone." The same applies to cull shooting in Africa. In fact in most of the world game meat is sold like beef or pork. Whether this is better or worse than the North American system is arguable, but that's beside the present point.

In general, if the animal makes it over the land's boundary before it falls, the animal belongs to the other landowner. In much of Europe, parcels of huntable land are often small, so hunters want a bullet that kills quickly, so the animal doesn't leave the land they're hunting, but they also don't want to shoot shoulders, because that reduces the amount of meat that can be sold--and hunting is expensive over there, just as it's becoming in most of the U.S. where there's far more private than public land.

Consequently, European ammo makers do a lot of research on what bullets kill quickest, including shooting LOTS of actual wild animals. And on properly managed land there are a lot of animals that need to be taken, just as there are on many properties in the southern U.S., or in Africa. I'm not talking a few dozen or even 100 animals. One well-known European firm shot over 500 animals one fall testing a new bullet to see how it killed with typical lung shots, compared to other bullets they'd previously tested on similar numbers of animals.

The bullets they've found to kill quickest are bullets that partially fragment. That is what every European ammo and bullet maker has found after shooting far more animals in one season than most American hunters will ever shoot in a lifetime.

But of course they're wrong, in every possible way.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you can't figure out how to kill something with a Barnes, and quickly, you might want to stick with golf.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The most impressive killer of deer bullet/caliber-wise, has been my 257 Weatherby with good old Hornady 100gr Spire Points going full zone five afterburner. Over 80 deer I'm guessing and an equal number of hogs, and NOT ONE has taken a step. There is almost never an exit hole BTW and yes shoulder meat is toast, but who cares.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Autofive
Remington tried that technology 20 years ago with their Copper Solid shotgun slugs.
They did! And IME those worked VERY well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bucktail
Isn't there a European one where the petals are designed to break off? Privi or something like that.

GS-Custom HV, out of South Africa IIRC.

Campfire Tracker
Online Sleepy
Campfire Tracker
Brenneke TAG

[Linked Image]

Jaguar Classic

[Linked Image]

SAX KJG

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ready; 06/11/15.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If you can't figure out how to kill something with a Barnes, and quickly, you might want to stick with golf.

This.

Like JB also said, everyone is out looking for miracle bullets and the infamous DRT with lung shots....no bullet guarantees that every time. Not sure where it came from.

The Innanet I think. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (160user, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,280
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.