B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Brian_Ward
GunGeek,

To summarize and very very briefly in my opinion the big take away from my case was the TCA Encore can not keep tolerances and head space grows overtime, especially with larger calibers like I was shooting (300 win mag).
In my trial we had 3 guns with excessive head space. My gun was well out of spec., A gun with 5 shots was out of spec., A gun with no shots was out of spec.

The excessive headspace allows gasses to act on the plunger thus allowing the gun to open. (We are not talking about a bolt gun here….the plunger is held in place with a spring That supposedly needs to be replaced after so many shots that they never tell you about.) The stock breaks in bending when the gun blows open…very violent.
Brian,

You're warning people about this rifle yet you say NOTHING about what actually happened, why is that?

We're big boys here (and I'll admit, I'm not a fan of the Encore), and we kinda like to make our own minds up.

If you can tell us just a simple explanation of what happened, that would be helpful.

Just a simple question: Did the action come open upon firing?

GunGeek,
I thought I did give an abridged version of my take on what happened......

"Just a simple question: Did the action come open upon firing?" In my opinion, yes is did.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
is that the same as saying yes it did come open?

Or is it the same as I don't know if it came open?

Or is it the same as I may have opened in in recoil with some body part of mine somehow?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In my opinion, yes is did.

Who writes your stuff, Bill Clinton?

"I did not have sex with that firearm"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would love to see the original court filing now.

Just what was the assertion for the suit, generic liability?

No specific accusation of wrongdoing?

It's a far stretch from "My opinion" with NO expert testimony that equates to a judgement.

No wonder TC was able to drag it out a decade, and no wonder they are requesting a re-trial, as opposed to an appeal.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Last post:

It looks like posts on this thread have subsided. I just want to thank everyone that posted on this thread. Some posters stated this thread didn’t turn out how I had hoped, but actually it did. I knew some people would attack me no matter what, and some would give an honest evaluation on what I was saying

Above all I just wanted to bring awareness about this gun and have people check their T/C Arms Encore for problems. I was not trying to re-litigate this case over the internet; I would never be able to do it justice. If people are really that concerned with getting all the details and determining what happened, the court documents are public record.

So at the end of the day, even people attacking me actually helped me by driving up the number of people being made aware of the situation and the judgement against T/C Arms and their Encore design.

Thanks again!

Brian Ward

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Another opinion on the T/C Arms Encore Gun Failure

Guys, I said my final piece on this thread. But I was contacted by Jack Belk (Author of UnSafe by Design: Forensic Gunsmithing and Firearms Investigations) and I put him in contact with my Gun Expert. I thought his assessment was pertinent and want to share it.
Thanks,
Brian Ward

Link to the original post: http://www.shootersforum.com/general-discussion/98824-embrace-truth-catastrophic-gun-failure.html

Text:
“I have discussed this case with the plaintiff's expert witness that did the analysis of Brian's accident. As is normal in these type cases, there's a lot that can't be released to the public (and the gun companies fight to keep it that way).

Here's the physical facts that were demonstrated to the jury to 'prove' one or more defects in design or defects in material that was 'more likely than not' the causation of Brian's injuries. To do that, the firearms expert has to testify to the facts and opinions concerning the gun. Medical experts and monetary loss experts and all sorts of supporting testimony covers the areas outside the firearm.

In this case, the medical testimony did not or could not point to one specific thing or item that caused the loss of the eye but "impact" was named as causation. There was no one piece of debris named even though the fired case was not recovered from the eye or anywhere else.

That raises the first flag---Where is the fired case? If nobody removed it, it had to have left on its own. How?

The firearms expert and engineer in this case found that the weight of the locking block is sufficient to UN LOCK the TC Encore with the recoil of a .300Win Mag. This is inertia as described by Sir Isaac Newton and recognized by the Courts as mechanical fact. It was also found that the material and design of the (severely angled) grip section of the plastic stock was not proper for the amount of recoil applied by that caliber/weight combination of rifle. Proper stock design and materials are well-known and fully accepted by the courts.

Once it was shown through testimony the locking assembly on the rifle was not proper for the cartridge and could cause the gun to unlock itself and eject the case, then reclose when it fell, AND the cheap plastic stock was likely to break from recoil from normal use, the further facts of sloppy headspacing and the tested stretching of the headspace dimension in as few as five rounds just showed more exacerbating circumstances due to faulty designs in more than one place. The jury saw the gun was defective in design and materials and awarded the majority of the verdict to the plaintiffs. They retained part of the award because the handload was an unknown that the company contended could have been causation. (Common in civil courts in states where 'proportional liability' is the law.)

MY OPINION concurs with the plaintiff's expert: He believes as do I the TC Encore is not designed correctly for the calibers they call on it to hold. The weird stock was just stupid. Economy was chosen over shooter's safety......by design. Ignorance of basic firearms design history played a major roll, unless they knowingly gambled and lost.

All it takes to accept that opinion is to look at similar rifles (and shotguns) and how they were made: Locking blocks are to the rear of the locking notch(es). Recoil makes them lock up tighter, not loosens that most important connection. It has been that way since Manton invented the double underlock in about 1873. Purdey's made it famous and just about everybody on the planet has copied it since then. The greater back-thrust pressure of rifle cartridges usually made a 'third fastener' of some kind above the pivot point very common but not universal. (Browning Superposed, rifles)

Examine a heavy recoiling double rifle and see the metal tang extension all the way to the top of the stock comb and the trigger guard goes to the steel grip cap and is firmly attached there as re-inforcement to a (fine Circassian) walnut butt stock that has a shear strength higher than the plastics used on the TC rifle.
Pictured is such a tang done on a .404 bolt gun by Steve Heilmann.
The inertia of the shooter means the gun recoils before the stock unless they're well connected and in a straight line. That means the same plastic used for AR platform stocks is likely to be too weak in shear strength to be used in 'crooked' stocks. AR stocks are strong in compression which doesn't count in the TC 'drop stocks'.

Consider also the safety factors that should be brought in because TC knows how shooters are. (Don't we all.) Just because the TC-E "will hold" a .300 Mag does not mean it will still hold one with excess resizing lube left on it, or an oversized flashhole, or a weld-crimped bullet or a round grabbed off the dashboard with hot and degraded powder. (don't ask me how I know THAT one!)

Hopefully this enlightens this group to the 'behind the scenes' take on what was a 'grenade of good intentions' without enough technical information to support it.”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
go away...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
go away...

HAHA! Did the post from Jack make to much sense?

Last edited by Brian_Ward; 06/12/15.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
go away...

HAHA! Did the post from Jack make to mush sense?

Slow down, you're typing too fast.

So apparently Jack had access to your expert.

quaint.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
go away...

Yep, just go away.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
go away...

Is this an addendum to your previous post, which was an addendum to your 'last post'?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last post:

Doesn't say much for your credibility.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
go away...

No, I think you're just an idiot...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I concur!

This fellow did himself in and he wants to put the blame on anyone but himself.

Really.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I concur!

This fellow did himself in and he wants to put the blame on anyone but himself.

Really.

Yup, dat be the liberal way...

Remember years back when I watched a friend put a bunch of .375Winmag through an encore. No broken stock or scope eye.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by RWE
go away...

Slow down, you're typing too fast.

So apparently Jack had access to your expert.

quaint.

sorry typo....

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
last post?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Could be wrong, but you're probably not going to get many converts by invoking the name of Jack Belk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Could be wrong, but you're probably not going to get many converts by invoking the name of Jack Belk.

Quite true, but not surprising that Brian will seek and receive assistance from such a "person".

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6203499/1

Let's see: most of his current income comes from being a hired "expert" witness to testify against firearms companies. Prior that, he was a gunsmith in ID that seems to have taken more than a few customers for a ride, even though the work he did produce was very well regarded. Then there's an issue about his online "health issues" that resulted in folks sending money in to help (damn, if that doesn't sound familiar), etc.

http://weaponsman.com/?p=2217

Last edited by 4ager; 06/12/15.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too funny.

Brian,

Is Jack going to be your next expert on the retrial?

Will your answer be your last post?

Page 25 of 26 1 2 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,400
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.