Hop To
Page 5 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 28 29
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I guess we just can't have this discussion here. Why are we talking about Ayoob? Whether you agree with or disagree with his conclusions (and for the 4th time, I personally disagree with his conclusions)is not the discussion. But just because I disagreed with his conclusions doesn't mean I disregard the data.

The discussion is about the data he presents in the articles, not his conclusions. The data remains regardless of the writer or his conclusions. Is no one capable of discerning this? Or do you think the data is all made up?

I guess this is why lawyers tear down the witness, because most don't have the critical thinking skills to differentiate between message and messenger.

I understand your frustration, but data acceptability is based to some degree on credibility; in this case, Ayoob's. If you're interested in pistol round penetration, read about Dr Fackler's (COL, MD, ret) testing and conclusions. No issues with creds or data, at least with the US Army, FBI, LAPD, etc.
Bob

Exactly!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Kevin, Clint Smith does not see eye to eye with Ayoob and who can blame him?

CLINT SMITH ON THE 1911
“The 1911 remains popular because it’s an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, I’ve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911’s than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals – policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because the know their live may depend on it…Me? I’ve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. It’s a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, I’m not concerned about tight groups. I don’t bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesn’t have to expand to be effective.” From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by jwp475
D. A. "Jelly" Bryce killed quite a few criminals in gunfights and when asked if ever worried about bring them in alive his reply was that he was more worried about bringing himself in alive.

Jelly Bryce was a bad son of a bitch.
He was a freaking magician with a handgun!!! I read once that the reason he was so good with a gun was that he could clearly see the bullets in flight, which allowed him to more easily correct any flaw, or better understand any lesson ever taught.

He was an artist with a Thompson as well.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RGK
The first time I met Ayoob was in 1984, at the '84 LAPD Ordnance Expo. I was a brand-new probationer just out of the Academy; if we attended the Expo we could go on city time (basically, it was a cop-oriented gun show). I took a couple of his seminars, one of which was "Handgun Survival". Ayoob stood up in front of 50-60 LA coppers, some of whom had been in 3, 4 or more gunfights, and talked about gunfighting. He then started demonstrating various arm blocks against knives. It was the dumbest thing I've witnessed as far as an officer survival class (and I've been to a few). Gotta give it to him, though...it takes a lot of courage to stand up in front of a group of REAL urban warriors and talk about how to fight and survive, especially while wearing a uniform shirt from some podunk New Hampshire PD. And he was only a reserve dude. Pretty ballsy. I've talked to him several times since then; nice guy, good writer and an excellent self-promoter. He's carved a niche out for himself with his LFI stuff. Some people consider him an expert in his field.
Bob

I definitely consider him an expert in his field...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by RGK
The first time I met Ayoob was in 1984, at the '84 LAPD Ordnance Expo. I was a brand-new probationer just out of the Academy; if we attended the Expo we could go on city time (basically, it was a cop-oriented gun show). I took a couple of his seminars, one of which was "Handgun Survival". Ayoob stood up in front of 50-60 LA coppers, some of whom had been in 3, 4 or more gunfights, and talked about gunfighting. He then started demonstrating various arm blocks against knives. It was the dumbest thing I've witnessed as far as an officer survival class (and I've been to a few). Gotta give it to him, though...it takes a lot of courage to stand up in front of a group of REAL urban warriors and talk about how to fight and survive, especially while wearing a uniform shirt from some podunk New Hampshire PD. And he was only a reserve dude. Pretty ballsy. I've talked to him several times since then; nice guy, good writer and an excellent self-promoter. He's carved a niche out for himself with his LFI stuff. Some people consider him an expert in his field.
Bob

I definitely consider him an expert in his field...

Travis

Which field are you referring?

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The field of selling horse schit. grin

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why is a nine so sad? Why have a huge capacity magazine? Why so many shots to take a BG out? Now they want a limit to how many rounds you have so you can die when needing a reload. Get real, you need energy inside the creep and two holes.
This junk about bombing to reduce collateral damage sucks --Carpet bomb the creeps. You would not be there unless you wanted to be.
I want to take the whole crowd out.
Any hunter knows not to shoot at a deer if there is orange in the background. Be easier if innocents wore orange. But most are black that cheer on the creeps. "My baby was a GOOD boy-yeah sure. Come here I will take out you, your stinking buddy AND your ride. Why didn't they use Minnie guns on the looters?
A dead cop is a loss and they march but he is GONE, why did you not give him the tools? Oh yeah the cop can go to prison if he does his job. Give him a .38 S&W when the creeps have M16's or AK's.
Don't hurt anyone. Need rubber bullets and pepper spray. Beanbags. Rev Al will get you if you mess up. [bleep] in chief will put you on the rack.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Why is a nine so sad? Why have a huge capacity magazine? Why so many shots to take a BG out? Now they want a limit to how many rounds you have so you can die when needing a reload. Get real, you need energy inside the creep and two holes.
This junk about bombing to reduce collateral damage sucks --Carpet bomb the creeps. You would not be there unless you wanted to be.
Any hunter knows not to shoot at a deer if there is orange in the background. Be easier if innocents wore orange. But most are black that cheer on the creeps. "My baby was a GOOD boy-yeah sure. Come here I will take out you, your stinking buddy AND your ride. Why didn't they use Minnie guns on the looters?
A dead cop is a loss and they march but he is GONE, why did you not give him the tools? Oh yeah the cop can go to prison if he does his job. Give him a .38 S&W when the creeps have M16's or AK's.
Don't hurt anyone. Need rubber bullets and pepper spray. Beanbags. Rev Al will get you if you mess up. [bleep] in chief will put you on the rack.

I've read this twice and I still don't know what it means.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Over-penetration" only becomes an issue if something critical gets hit that wasn't supposed to after passing through something that was. Otherwise, if somebody wants to shoot a dumb projectile that whizzes right through a target doing minimal damage, it's up to them.

I don't need the government, a CCW instructor or Ayoob telling me that I can get in trouble if my bullets strike an innocent party. I was raised to not bring my troubles upon other people. If more people were, it would prevent many problems.

From what some folks on here are typing, one could easily assume that they'd carry the most highly penetrating bullets they could find in a densely populated area and have no qualms shooting somebody regardless of what was in back of the person. If you carry ammo that you know will shoot through several people and/or barriers and then you get into a shooting and an innocent person gets shot due to a round passing through the bad guy, IMO the shooter is negligent. The good guy did not initiate the proceedings and should not be the party with primary responsibility for that outcome, but if there were better options available and the shooter knowingly ignores them, then he or she bears at least some responsibility.

OTOH, let's say a good guy shoots a zombie and an innocent receives a pass-through round. The good guy shot an expanding round partially because he didn't want to risk his shot going through somebody and hitting somebody else, then IMO he has absolved himself of any responsibility for the outcome.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

I've read this twice and I still don't know what it means.

Travis
I don't know Hoss. There is stuff in there about junk, rubber and carpet. I think the poster may be talking about having safe sex with an ungroomed female.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yeah, over penetration resulted in the loss of a $500 water heater for me. I was decocking my 1911 when the hammer slipped through my fingers in my bedroom. Shot my Tempurpedic mattress, the wall and terminated the water heater with an FMJ 230 45 ACP.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Simple, a good cop wants to live and protect but if he does kill, he is raked over the coals. Rev Al and Obumber will try him without facts. See what is going on since our cops now fear to protect. They get what they deserve in those cities.
I will stand behind our LEO's every step. Need a .50 BMG, so be it. Poor performance from a gun has killed more good people then anything.
I am old and if you steal a horse you should hang. No political correct junk.
Do you know how many of our troops were killed by being issued a Mattel gun that would not shoot through a tree or jungle? The AK was better.
To limit power is only to please the liberal creeps.
No, I would not shoot a creep if a woman and child was behind him but I might die too. Your choice.
Since most can't hit anyway even if a bullet stops in a creep. Who says the bystander is safe? Real life is to kill when a threat is there. Taze a creep that dies, tough, he should not have done wrong. I'm harsh and looters should be taken out before they leave the stores they loot.

Last edited by bfrshooter; 06/13/15.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't pee in my backyard without a satellite seeing me. Yet the Islamic creeps cut off heads and they are not bombed. I just pulled a picture of me in the yard with my dog. Why do they know what I am doing?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I was decocking my 1911

The problem wasn't over penetration of the bullet.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have different weapons loaded differently depending on my needs. Ikered 2 shotguns load 1 with 000 buck, the other nickel plated 6 shot also my handgun as well as an AR-15. I will pick the appropriate one for the task at hand.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I keep reading scholarly articles that say when a man has to draw and shoot, the necessity usually comes as a surprise and there's only time to react.

How many here think they're going to drop their pistol and put their hands up because somebody's standing 20-25 yards away on the other side of the armed bad guy?

How many here think they're going to see anybody except the armed bad guy?

Edited to add: replied to Blue, but directed to all

Last edited by tjm10025; 06/13/15.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by tjm10025
I keep reading scholarly articles that say when a man has to draw and shoot, the necessity usually comes as a surprise and there's only time to react.

How many here think they're going to drop their pistol and put their hands up because somebody's standing 20-25 yards away on the other side of the armed bad guy?

How many here think they're going to see anybody except the armed bad guy?

Edited to add: replied to Blue, but directed to all

That's the way it'll work if you want to survive.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

Kevin, Clint Smith does not see eye to eye with Ayoob and who can blame him?

CLINT SMITH ON THE 1911
“The 1911 remains popular because it’s an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, I’ve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911’s than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals – policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because the know their live may depend on it…Me? I’ve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. It’s a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, I’m not concerned about tight groups. I don’t bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesn’t have to expand to be effective.” From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.

…..actually Clint and Ayoob are pretty good friends---they don't agree on a lot of stuff……I've got a pretty funny Ayoob-at-Thunder Ranch story, but I won't tell it here…..too many jumpers-on of bandwagons!!

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Yeah, over penetration resulted in the loss of a $500 water heater for me. I was decocking my 1911 when the hammer slipped through my fingers in my bedroom. Shot my Tempurpedic mattress, the wall and terminated the water heater with an FMJ 230 45 ACP.

No wonder you hate Colt's…..now it all makes sense….

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Simple, a good cop wants to live and protect but if he does kill, he is raked over the coals. Rev Al and Obumber will try him without facts. See what is going on since our cops now fear to protect. They get what they deserve in those cities.
I will stand behind our LEO's every step. Need a .50 BMG, so be it. Poor performance from a gun has killed more good people then anything.
I am old and if you steal a horse you should hang. No political correct junk.
Do you know how many of our troops were killed by being issued a Mattel gun that would not shoot through a tree or jungle? The AK was better.
To limit power is only to please the liberal creeps.
No, I would not shoot a creep if a woman and child was behind him but I might die too. Your choice.
Since most can't hit anyway even if a bullet stops in a creep. Who says the bystander is safe? Real life is to kill when a threat is there. Taze a creep that dies, tough, he should not have done wrong. I'm harsh and looters should be taken out before they leave the stores they loot.

….you obviously should be teaching logic at the local University……ethics or military history could be your fall-back curricula…...

Page 5 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 204guy, 47 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,801
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.