Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
..."Two hundred and fifty pounds of African Warthog"....Gee...they grow EVERYTHING bigger in Texas...

What's an average adult African Wart Hog weigh, Tom?

Ed

A LOT closer to 100 pounds....and thats a good one.

actually according to a pretty reliable zoological reference book i have on the shelf lists 330 pounds as the high end.....granted while i dont have the cited reference im inclined to believe thats an overfed zoo animal on the fat end.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by NathanL
About 15 years ago I had to wait for a cape buffalo to get out of the road in the hill country. Too bad I wasn't packing a serious rifle that day.

Cape or Water buffalo?

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree with ingwe, as far as weight on a warthog. I looked over a lot of them in RSA, back in 2008, before shooting this ole boy. He might have weighed a short 150 lbs.

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I think S. Texas harbors just about everything.

Flooding and washed out water gaps have allowed all sorts of exotics to roam free for years. If a ranch had warthogs on it, then they probably aren't within the boundaries of the ranch any longer.

Even heard stories of monkeys and big cats being spotted in S. Texas.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 15 years ago I had to wait for a cape buffalo to get out of the road in the hill country. Too bad I wasn't packing a serious rifle that day.

Would like to hear more about that..was it behind a fence or free ranging? Is there a huntable population there?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, I looked over quite a few wartys in Namib, and now, while looking at his skull and tusks, one could easily suspect the one I took weighed a lot more than he did--maybe ~ 100 lbs or so. I really have no idea.

Relative to most critters they have a disproportionately large noggin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E

Would like to hear more about that..was it behind a fence or free ranging? Is there a huntable population there?

I started to say it's illegal to hunt them, but it appears they are not on the list:

Originally Posted by Texas Parks and Wildlife
"Canned Hunts" (Dangerous Wild Animals)

No person may kill or attempt to injure a dangerous wild animal (African or Asiatic lion, tiger, leopard, cheetah, hyena, bear, elephant, wolf, or rhinoceros, or any subspecies or hybrid of these animals) that is held in captivity in this state or that is released from captivity in this state for the purpose of being killed, nor may any person conduct, promote, advertise, or assist in the hunting of a dangerous wild animal.

I don't think there are more than a handful of cape buffs in Texas.

Of course, if the warthogs get to be a problem, they could import African Lions to deal with them. Which should also fix illegal immigrants walking across the river smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for that..

Running into a Cape Buff while deer hunting might be "interesting" although I believe certain areas down there have feral Spanish Fighting Bulls? If so, I could imagine those being even more aggressive in such circumstances...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These guys are on my deer lease:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They are called Corrientes, and are smart, and athletic - good jumpers. The calves are commonly wanted for roping contests. If they are near a gate, when they see you drive up they'll make a bee line for the gate, and force you to reconsider your plans.

I was rather startled the first time I saw them, but they are docile as near as I can tell. I've walked among them, and fed them a time or two. The ranch hand told me he was once pouring feed from a 50# bag, making a line, when suddenly he just wasn't holding the bag any longer. He turned and the bull had quietly walked behind him, and nimbly hooked the bag with a horn, and yanked it out of his arms, without touching him.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I would LOVE to see a 250 pounder!This is the biggest Ive ever seen...he was 83 kilos ( 182 pounds [Linked Image]

I'm betting you didn't use the .223AI on that one. laugh

Ed

Nope had to go big or go home on that one! He got it with a .22-250! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pete E
Thanks for that..

Running into a Cape Buff while deer hunting might be "interesting" ....

I have not heard of any Cape Buffalo in Texas...but then theres a lot I haven't heard of, and after having an ostrich down there try to kick our ass, I don't think theres anything about Texas that would surprise me.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There's only one ranch that I know of offering cape buff. The 777 and I think that a recent offering. They are more than a bit proud of them. Lots of water buff around though.

Check out my new website

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have never really understood what Texas plans to do with all these fugging things 50 years from now.

But hey, it's Texas.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm betting you didn't use the .223AI on that one. laugh Ed

Nope had to go big or go home on that one! He got it with a .22-250! laugh

Good thing you had that firepower available to you! laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deflave
I have never really understood what Texas plans to do with all these fugging things 50 years from now. But hey, it's Texas.
Travis

They give folks something big to hunt between deer seasons. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep. I was just there chasing Axis deer....between deer seasons. grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have never really understood what Texas plans to do with all these fugging things 50 years from now.

But hey, it's Texas.

Travis

They'll make good fodder for the T-Rex once A&M finishes sortin' out the cloning... Better start applying for tags now.

Check out my new website

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I can hear it now.

"These dagg-gum T-Rexes ate my whole herd!"

"Want me to shoot them?"

"Well... the guys from Houston that lease this really like to have 'em around...."

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
lmao lot of truth in that.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I can hear it now.
"These dagg-gum T-Rexes ate my whole herd!"
"Want me to shoot them?"
"Well... the guys from Houston that lease this really like to have 'em around...."
Dave

Or, they will call the local TV station to come do a story on all the damage they do and whine, cry, and wring their hands about how difficult they are to get rid of.
When the local hunters call up and offer to help thin the herd, they want $400.00/day per hunter or will just flat tell you no, you can't hunt on their place.
I've seen this very thing play out twice in the last year here.

Ed

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1234, 47 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,662
Posts18,534,060
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.