Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Finish roller on Pavement

Or small dozers

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Crane is probably hardest.

Mastering a road grader to the point of being a finish grade operator isn't for amateurs either.

YOU got that right
That being said every body so far is right but lots of guys have a NATURAL ability on [ ] and it's a ball to run them. the level of difficulty comes in acessing the lift, material to be moved, condition of soil [ site]steepness ,draining the swamp, keeping the machine above ground , or the crane on its outriggers,, not getting yourself backed into a corner and in lots of cases haveing a machine on site BIGGER THAN YOURS just in case grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by molly
Originally Posted by okie
I consider a double jack to be "heavy" everything else is just drivin',,,,

What's a double jack??

in the OLD days a 2 handed sledge hammer for drilling holes in rock for blasting ---- one poor trusting bugger held and turned the drillsteel as you hit it with the sledge ,, just remember you trade places a lot during the shift laugh

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I'd go with Rosie O'Donnell as difficult-to-operate heavy machinery.

Personally, I would not advertise that item on your "bucket list", then again you two have so much in common. Did she make you a sandwich too, although my guess is she probably ate it..

Somebody ate something.
Prolly some sandy sushi.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
You can buy them in the same isle as a Mexican backhoe...

Kent

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Worst I had to run was an old D-6 in the winter here. Just a miserable job, start to finish. Those damned ponys could be hell to get started. Get the engine running and pray you see everything capable of making you toss a track.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Road grader cutting finish grade.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I'd go with Rosie O'Donnell as difficult-to-operate heavy machinery.

Please tell me you did't check the oil on that one???

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Cable tool?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Royce
Road grader cutting finish grade.

I ran "blue tops" as a kid while working on on a Rock Crusher crew. Them guys could sure raise hell if you caused them to pull one up.

Of ALL the equipment used in that operation, the "steam" shovel operator was paid the most, then the dragline guy.

I drove an International Payhauler and an end dump Euclid.

Running blue tops was the only "whiteman job" that ranked under those two.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MILES58
Worst I had to run was an old D-6 in the winter here. Just a miserable job, start to finish. Those damned ponys could be hell to get started. Get the engine running and pray you see everything capable of making you toss a track.

Well. I'm not gonna start talking about tossing one off.
That's just morbid.

But I will tell you about two dumb assed masturbaters that got the big excavator stuck in the mud.

Supervisor drives all the way out to the jobsite an just shakes his head.

"You stupid bastards couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions printed on heel. This machine can lift itself."

He waded down through, climbed aboard, swung around stuck the bucket down in the mud and pushed that 9 ton sonofabitch up on to dry land.

He crawled down off, shook his head, got backin his truck and drove away.

Yep, you guessed it.
Them two fum duckers didn't get a pay raise.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I haven't operated a dragline or shovel but I never could get the hang of running a grader. Backhoe isn't too tough to learn.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I haven't operated a dragline or shovel but I never could get the hang of running a grader. Backhoe isn't too tough to learn.

Y'all keep saying that, and it's true as far as "running" one goes. Even I could probably learn to dig a neat grave, for instance.

But... to watch a top notch OPERATOR of one get the job done with no wasted motion and no collateral damage still impresses the hell out of me.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't know if they even use "blue tops" any more, but we used to have to fine grade to them. They were 1 inch square stakes driven into the crushed gravel (road construction ) and the grade foreman would run in front of the grader. There would be two stakes, and the grade foreman would signal the grader man as to how much to cut and fill at each 50 foot station. As soon as the grader man got the signal, he'd nod his head, and the grade foreman would run to the next station and signal the grader operator when he looked up. It took a good grader operator to cut grade to the nearest 1/4 inch all day long. I plowed snow with a grader, but never cut grade, at least not much. Did run blue tops though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've run a lot of different equipment over the years. With the new controls on cranes, they are pretty easy and accurate to control these days.
Just about any heavy equipment has its quirks, but with a little time just about anyone can be taught to run just about any heavy equipment proficiently. Backhoes and excavators are just about the easiest to learn, IMHO.

Sometimes it's the small stuff that is hardest to run. Anyone ever try to run an optolyth? Or try to get a scissorlift into a space30 feet up and only 1" bigger than the lift dimensions without damaging anything in the process?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Everyone things they can run a hoe But there is big difference in digging s ditch or hole and digging flat , strait and to grade . Very few can dig to grade with a track loader

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Crane is probably hardest.

Mastering a road grader to the point of being a finish grade operator isn't for amateurs either.

My BIL has been an equipment operator for many, many years. He once told me that the guys who are really good on a road grader are damn near artists.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Cranes are the worst for me, with a Gradall second.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Road Grader, had a fella that had ran one for 30 years tell me, "I am still learning things."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd go with a grader cutting finished grade.

Crane is pretty simple, the trick is not killing anyone with your load. grin

On another note, ya'll have obviously met some folks that operated equipment, you don't exactly have to be a genius to work one, how hard is it really?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,681
Posts18,513,394
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.