-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Folks, anyone know much about the B&L 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200?

Is it identical to the ones made by Bushnell?

This one is gloss with a standard duplex reticle and the Rainguard coating.

Can't find much info on them. How long since B&L made these?

Thanks.

- Bob

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobnob17

Thanks.

- Bob

that is an older 4200 before it was branded with the Bushnell. Bushnell bought the rights to the sporting optics division of B&L back then. B&L use to mfr the older Bushnell scopes for them. if you turn over a older Scope Chief you will see a "Made in Japan" stamp on it and a "B&L" inside a small oval also stamped on it. sometime in the 90's Bushnell acquired the sporting optics part from B&L and the scopes were re branded Bushnell. some of my wording may not be accurate but that is the basic story.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 06/10/15.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by bobnob17

Thanks.

- Bob

that is an older 4200 before it was branded with the Bushnell. Bushnell bought the rights to the sporting optics division of B&L back then. B&L use to mfr the older Bushnell scopes for them. if you turn over a older Scope Chief you will see a "Made in Japan" stamp on it and a "B&L" inside a small oval also stamped on it. sometime in the 90's Bushnell acquired the sporting optics part from B&L and the scopes were re branded Bushnell. some of my wording may not be accurate but that is the basic story.

IIRC, B&L's sporting optics operation was burned out during the Rodney King Riots in southcentral Los Angeles back in early 1992. Up until then, you could send in a B&L scope and they would rebuild it for the cost of shipping. I was big on the old Bal-Var series then and was sending a couple of scope in to them every month to be refurbished. Rather than rebuild, B&L sold out to Bushnell and whatever inventory was left was shipped to Bushnell's operation in Overland Park or Shawnee, Kansas. Since B&L no longer existed, the "lifetime" warranty on B&L scopes was voided and, even if it hadn't been, most of the inventory of repair parts for the older model was destroyed in the riot.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Guys,

It seems a good hunting scope. Says Made in Japan. Glass is good and clear, reticle tracks true and holds zero. I was just a little confused as to where it fit in.

- Bob

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It is an excellent scope. I have one on a youth model .243 bought here on the Classifieds section.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I also agree, they are excellent tough scopes. Where's Roy finn when you need him??? grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny guy..... grin As to where they "fit in", well, they were the first generation scopes to use Rainguard lens coatings. Mechanically they are identical to the Bushnell 4200's. I remember our friend Mule Deer stating that the only thing he noticed (slightly) different with the current generation scopes was that he felt that they have gotten a little better optically over the years. IIRC B&L stopped offering these scopes in the late 90's.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've found the 4200 to be real sleepers. It seems that when they come up for sale used, they're usually priced very reasonably. One of the complaints you'll hear is that they're a tad heavy, but in my experience they more than make up for it by being tougher than a $2 steak. I've currently got one on a pre-64 mod.70 and the slightly smaller diameter of the occular(compared with the Leupolds) lets me use it with DD lows for an extremely comfortable set-up.
No flies on the 4200s. A good all-round scope for the money.

John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,200
Posts18,503,675
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.