Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
I like my mule 610. It is small and isn't fast but with an aftermarket rear seat in the bed and a winch it will go anywhere and carry 4 people.

I like the small size. It resides on my 350 acre farm and rarely leaves. Runs roads and fire breaks great.

Bought it last summer and have about 40 hours on it. I like the simplicity of it - not many bells and whistles to break

Power steering and diesel weren't options for me and I wouldn't have paid for them if they had been

Ditto all. I love my Mule.

Can't speak to the diesel option, but years ago when I was looking at boats and the diesel version was $20k more, my buddy looked at me and said "for twenty thousand dollars you can buy a lot of gas."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikkanut, you are posting pictures of playing when the op is talking about work. I've got zero issues with your Rhino, but it's not suited for the work part of things in my book.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Higbean; 06/24/15.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got an 09 Rhino 700 and it's a helluva machine but if I were buying a workhorse machine, it would be the Honda Pioneer 700.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Higbean
Tikkanut, you are posting pictures of playing when the op is talking about work. I've got zero issues with your Rhino, but it's not suited for the work part of things in my book.

[Linked Image]

And like offshore boats, I have absolutely no problem with Polaris, as long as it is my friends. They ride good, have a lot of horse power and are high maintenance. We have a lot of them at work too, both Fire and Police service. The key though, is we (as individuals) don't have to pay for the constant repairs.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My 'Yota truck covers my farm 'work' part...

Or my Kioti CK35.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I gotta agree with the Toy 4x4 too. There ain't much most UTVs can do that they can't do better...with AC/Heat and an enclosed cab.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by srwshooter
well the polaris haters are out again. they have no clue. most of us that ride together got rid of hondas and have been riding polaris for the last 4-5 years.

hondas were the worst machines we've owned. out of 10 or so owners they've all gotten rid of them.motors,transmissions,elecrtical,you name it we had problems.

I guess someone out there has had to have had a non-typical experience, but yours doesn't seem to be the norm.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tff...I'm not a Polaris "hater", they're good for what they're good for. It's just that dependability is not one of their qualities.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter
well the polaris haters are out again. they have no clue. most of us that ride together got rid of hondas and have been riding polaris for the last 4-5 years.

hondas were the worst machines we've owned. out of 10 or so owners they've all gotten rid of them.motors,transmissions,elecrtical,you name it we had problems.

Tff!! 10 bad Hondas all owened by the same group and they all switched to Polaris? That's crazy talk man, just crazy talk! lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Right? That reminds me of a certain politician's followers.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Didn't read all the posts. I have a Kubota. I don't drive it on the highway. It pulls my tractor out of the mud and I love the tilt bed. I replaced the battery and fuel gauge. Mine has power steering, so it steers easy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if I were buying one I would go with a ranger, used several of the Kubotas. overheating, low power, loud and expensive to maintain machines. can't pull more than a red wagon with em and they overheat and groan to move it.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a 2014 Yamaha Viking and so far its much better than the Polaris Ranger my dad has.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Down here, boyz tear up atvs/utvs for fun. Polaris's are very popular because of there power and ability to modify. They are also the most likely to take home in pieces. It really just depends on what you need and enjoy. My buddies like putting them back together. I don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of ranchers I know around here have been using Kubotas for at least six or seven years. I have never heard them complain, nor have I heard that they had problems with overheating or lack of power--and we have some pretty rough country and an abundance of hot weather around here. However, ranchers don't use them like the "cowboys" in the Polaris commercials.

The first time I rode in one, my friend Bill took me out to the back side of a dam on a dry tank (pond). It was pretty steep. He put the Kubota in "forward," took his foot off of the accelerator pedal and we motored up that steep dam as the engine idled and eased down the other side. It was pretty impressive.

The other guy (coincidentally also named Bill) has a fancier version with a full cab and A/C. He uses it everyday in rough, rocky country to check water and check his cattle. He has had it for about four years now and says that it has just about eliminated the money that he used to spend for repairs and maintenance on his ranch truck.

I also know an outfitter in Colorado that uses them to distribute his hunting camps at road ends in the White River National Forest. He also says that wear and tear on his pickups has declined dramatically since he started using them.

YMMV.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the OP I can only vouch for Ed's Diesel Kubota, that it seems a capable vehicle. Not fast, but will pull a heavy load without difficulty. John Deere also has diesel models available:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/products...rossover_utility_vehicles/855d/855d.page

Deere also has gas models with quoted top speeds over 50 mph smile

If I get one of these things, I'd be tempted to get the Honda Pioneer 500, which is only 50 inches wide and will fit in a 8' full size pickup bed (with the tailgate down).

When UTV's first came out I said, chit you can buy a good street legal Jeep or pickup for that much. But most of the UTV's I've seen are smaller and shorter than even Jeeps and small pickups, and will presumably fit into tighter, rougher places than larger vehicles. And small Jeeps and small pickups set up for serious off-road use, lifted with low gears and big tires, aren't so hot to drive on the highway for any distance, so you'd wind up trailering them just like the UTV. My off-roading usually begins after I first drive 300 miles on the interstate, and a Samurai would suck at that smile

I think you just gotta look at your individual desires and pick something that will work for you, most of the time, because none of them are going be the best at everything.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good assessment, Patrick. Like boats, they are all a compromise. You really gotta sit down and decide exactly what you need (not want) out of one to be happy with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
5 out of 5 of us were riding Yamaha Grizzlies last Wednesday(moving cows).

I think they were all 700's.

First time ever the throttle cable stuck on mine(left turn). Did it about 6-7 times that day. Either hit the brakes hard or gun it and it comes back down.

Right before the gate we hit a sharp creek crossing(dry) and a bunch of calves wouldn't cross so we got off and spooked them a little.

One calf boogies off so my buddy jumped on my wheeler and brought it back. He gets off and I ask him if the throttle stuck.

He said , yeah what the fuuck is up with that?!

(a Tacoma might have kept up for the first 2 minutes)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was hauling ass in my Rhino last weekend, trying to outrun a thunderstorm, when I heard a loud "whack", like I'd thrown a rock out of a tire. A cloud of smoke came from under the cowling and I coasted to a stop. After checking everything to make sure there weren't any leaks, or anything on fire, I rode rode it for two more days without a hitch. I suspect I threw a tooth off the belt after 10 miles at wide open. I keep two extra belts under the seat and it takes about thirty minutes to change. Ain't none of them perfect.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Belt totally blew on a 2013 Viking that same day.

Unplanned walking sucks.....grin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,126
Posts18,483,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.