Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'm fairly sure the following countries have some sort of Nat'l Service requirement: Austria, Israel, Germany,Denmark, Sweeden, Norway and Switzerland. Would you support it (with the caveat that alternative service would be available for a variety of 'disqualifying' factors)?

I kind of like the idea of citizens having to do their country some sort of service. Wouldn't have to be military (but maybe have a military training component), but it'd be some sort of concrete involvement/service in the betterment of the nation.

Since the majority of folks here hold our freedoms dear--including the right to sit around and take in gov't handouts for generations-- anything mandatory I'm thinking would be railed against, but might it not weed out those here for love, liberty and loyalty; those willing to contribute to the nation, from those here for convenience, profit and their own well being only?

Just curious.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No, I'm all for Darwinism.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not everyone is cut out for it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
not military service. it would dilute the force with slackers and dumbfuggs. now if they want to draft some kids to clean up the roads i'm all for it.

My diploma is a DD214
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
No, I'm all for Darwinism.

He always wins, that's for sure! wink

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Right. Thus, the words on 'disqualifications' above. Above and beyond mental/physical disabilities though, surely there are some jobs that even the feeblest of body and mind could do to help the nation in some way, no?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes. Up until the early 70's, all qualified males were required to give the country two years of individual service. I doubt it hurt many of us on this forum and I it might help young people today develop a sense of responsibility.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ro1459
Yes. Up until the early 70's, all qualified males were required to give the country two years of individual service. I doubt it hurt many of us on this forum and I it might help young people today develop a sense of responsibility.

I didn't know that. Thanks. And yes, the sense of responsibility thing seems like it has gone the way of the dodo for so many.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sending young adults to be serve in .gov agencies for two years should nicely reinforce what the schools have been teaching them. Personally, I'd never let my kids do it.

If you want welfare folks to start working again to get benefits, I'd be all for that.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 30338

If you want welfare folks to start working again to get benefits, I'd be all for that.

That'd be a beautiful thing. Sadly, I think we're too far gone to see that happening.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pie in the sky.

Dems and Publicans would pervert it with carve outs before the ink was dry.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Right. Thus, the words on 'disqualifications' above. Above and beyond mental/physical disabilities though, surely there are some jobs that even the feeblest of body and mind could do to help the nation in some way, no?

I agree with that.

But give incentive too...

Perhaps we need to have a service prerequisite for voter eligibility.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Isn't the Selective Service law still in effect where 18y/o still have to sign up even though we haven't had a draft since the 70s?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Why should any American feel a responsibility to serve the government any more than is already obligatory?

The government already eats about half of a person's earning capacity in the way of taxes. And they want more than that?

I'm not gay. I'm not a feminist. I'm not an illegal immigrant. I don't collect welfare.

To sum up, I'm not represented by the current ruling structure. Why should I have a sense of responsibility to a government that lights the White House up like a rainbow to celebrate homosexuality and tells me that, as a southerner, I'm to be demonized for displaying a symbol of my heritage?

Nah,...I ain't feelin' it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, but I'm for a program in the schools like "ROTC" that would be mandatory that would combine fitness, military style lessons, learning to shoot, camping, American history, ect.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Esox357
No, but I'm for a program in the schools like "ROTC" that would be mandatory that would combine fitness, military style lessons, learning to shoot, camping, American history, ect.

That sounds good,...but some feminist dyke would have 'em marching around the school in red high heeled shoes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ion-to-have-male-cadets-wear-high-heels/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In World War II they drafted millions of misfits and dumbfuggs. Who collectively became the Greatest Generation.

Hell, yes, I'm in favor of universal service. Either military or something equally rigorous. You have no appreciation for what you've been born to if you do not fight for it or suffer for it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the idea, Leighton. But as others have already noted, I don't think it would fly anymore.
Too many perverted self interest amongst the political monkeys that would be in charge of implementing it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Why should any American feel a responsibility to serve the government any more than is already obligatory?

The government already eats about half of a person's earning capacity in the way of taxes. And they want more than that?

I'm not gay. I'm not a feminist. I'm not an illegal immigrant. I don't collect welfare.

To sum up, I'm not represented by the current ruling structure. Why should I have a sense of responsibility to a government that lights the White House up like a rainbow to celebrate homosexuality and tells me that, as a southerner, I'm to be demonized for displaying a symbol of my heritage?

First off, you're way too old. I'm talking about the under 25 demographic. wink

But I could see young folks doing their bids in places of their choice--local or not. Helping elderly folks, keeping parks clean, neighborhood watches, that sort of community service stuff, if they opted out of national defense type commitment, but all with a basic theme of working for the country as well as for oneself, for whatever period of time.

In HS I had a couple of Israeli friends, as well as a Swede, and they all said that after HS, if they chose to go back to their native countries, they'd have to do two years of national service. They explained that many tried to duck it, as it was not exactly a popular thing, but one way or the other they'd have to do their service, unless DQd. I know the two Israelis went back and did their service. One was female. I saw a picture of her in uniform toting a M16 a few years later that a mutual friend shared with me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Amen to all of the above.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.