Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A 243 ADL Sporter shot excellent right out of the box. Shoots everything I have tried at least good and several different loads outstanding. It now sits in a McMillan and I have a spare take-off barrel waiting in the wings for when this one goes. I can only hope it shoots as good as the original.
A 223 ADL Sporter shoots ok so far. I bought as a donor and just wanted to play with it a bit so have not tried many loads. Not bad but nothing like the 243.

Both function just fine and no major quality issues noted. In comparison to the finish on my 2007 era SPS they are much nicer. The SPS looks sandblasted while the newer ADLs have a smoother matte finish.

I am the first to be critical of Remington's up and down quality control but these last two were well worth the money and I would buy another.

HR IC

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Back in January, Academy had their ADL's on sale for $359, so I picked up a 25-06. When I tried to mount a scope, I noticed that threads for one of the scope base screws was not cut properly and I could not mount my bases. Academy sent it back to Remington. Turn around was about 4 weeks and they re-tapped all of the threads.
Bases installed nice and tight and gun now shoots under an inch with my reloads. Very happy with this ADL.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought a camo stock, scope special ADL from Wal-Mart back last September in .243 for $297. I replaced the scope with a Nikon ProStaff 3.5-14 and then proceededto make the longest shots I've ever made on deer. I took three deer at 280, 350 and 410 yards all with one shot each.

This rifle is capable of shooting 1/2 MOA but it took some load development work. The bolt was is the matte finish which is gritty when cycling the bolt. After cycling it a few hundred times, it's smoother but a Tikka/Sako bolt, it's not.

I'm happy to spend $300 for a complete Remington 700. I won't be spending the $600+ the CDL/BDLs. I've moved on to other models in that price range...My goto rifle is a Sako 75 and I don't think I'll switch.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had a problem with a 799 right out of the box and customer support said "yea it has the Remington name on it" but I with have to contact EAA for and support.

Boooooooo Customer Support.

Sold all Remington center fires, kept the 870.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AggieDog
Curious, what would you buy? Ive been liking the Tikka's, amongst others.

I'm not pseshooter300, to whom the question was directed, but my last three purchases have all been Ruger Hawkeye rifles - a .308 Scout, a .308 lefty in wood/blue for Daughter #1 and an All-Weather .280 Rem.

The triggers weren't bad but after a little touch-up they are much improved. I free floated the .308 Hawkeye. Don't remember if the Scout came that way or not but it is free floated now. Haven't touched the stock on the All-Weather. All shoot MOA or better with selected handloads and I get a lot of .5" to .75" 3-shot groups.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a M700 ADL Youth model in .243 at Walmart on Black Friday. Got a hell of a deal on it ($379 - 20% - $35 Rebate = $268!). Since that time I have swapped the stock for a camo full size and swapped the scope for a Leupold VX-1 3-9(got that from opticsplanet ~$170). Lightened the trigger to 2.5#, sanded the nubs off the front of the stock and floated the barrel with a bread wrapper thing. It shoots 70gr TnT hollow points into 3/4" easily and 1/2" occasionally at 100 yards. Still working on a heavier bullet but have 100gr Hornady BTSPs in the 1 1/4" range. So I ended up with a 20"Std. contour barrel in a short action that weighs in at 7.25#. I call it my poor boy mountain rifle.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull

This rifle is capable of shooting 1/2 MOA but it took some load development work.

Can I ask what your load is? I have a great 1/2"-3/4" 70gr varmint load but am struggling to get 100 grainers to shoot under 1" consistently. (Kind of picky for a <$300 gun I know - but it make it all the more fun to shoot little groups with!)

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to rebuild a Remington 700, I had for about 35 years. Still working great.
I would buy a new 700 if I needed one.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My only new 700 started life as a 308 sps. The trigger was a bit stiff out of the box and the rifle was pretty picky as to what it would shoot well. I had the trigger pull lowered and I stabbed the barreled action into an hs precision stock. It is still way more picky than it should be. In all fairness the rifle does shoot really well with var get..winchester primers...lapua cases...165 and 168 grain ballistic tips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a new 700 xcr ii 270 few years back. I was somewhat disapointed in the finish on the bolt. Painted black gloss. I plan to send it out for fluting and refinishing.

The rest of the barrelled action is stainless with a very nice black matte finish. I am suprised how stiff the tupperware stock is and it feels great in my hands. I will probably buy a edge for it this year. The action was quite stiff out of the box. When I replaced the trigger i noticed that the action screws were way over torqued so when put it back together I relieved the torque and the action is very smooth.

While I was not disappointed in the feel original trigger I could not get comfortable with the hole drilled in it. So when they recalled the triggers I used that as an excuse to put in a Timney.

Im warming up to the 24 inch barrel. Im used to 22s.

I would to tell you how it shoots but I have yet to run a round down the barrel. But those are my inital feeling about the rifle. The rifle will be used this year.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I just bought an Rem 700 XCR II in 300 Win Mag great fit and finish. MOA less an inch. This is my third XCR.

Tom
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I like tikka rifles also but I also like 700's I been tossing around a 25-06 sps ss.

Tater
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by AggieDog
Curious, what would you buy? Ive been liking the Tikka's, amongst others.

I'm not pseshooter300, to whom the question was directed, but my last three purchases have all been Ruger Hawkeye rifles - a .308 Scout, a .308 lefty in wood/blue for Daughter #1 and an All-Weather .280 Rem.

The triggers weren't bad but after a little touch-up they are much improved. I free floated the .308 Hawkeye. Don't remember if the Scout came that way or not but it is free floated now. Haven't touched the stock on the All-Weather. All shoot MOA or better with selected handloads and I get a lot of .5" to .75" 3-shot groups.

Usually, a thirty minute trigger job will make a Hawkeye as good as it gets in it's price range. And then you've got a good shooter with a great open trigger. I will take a Mark II or a Hawkeye any day of the week.

Last edited by lastround; 06/28/15.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I always find it funny to read that some guy's wont buy a new Remington 700 account the chitty quality, My guess is it makes them feel better about their old rifles....I have bought a dozen or more new Remington Model 700's in the last 3 years and every one shot at least MOA right out of the box, they also functioned flawlessly....All rifle makers will build the occasional turd but IMO Remington is building as good a rifle (or better) than they ever have..........Hb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought two last summer, both are still sitting in the box. I bought them for future builds so I refuse to shoot the donors out of fear. One is in .243 and the other .223 both are ADL models and I got both for less than $800 out the door. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat, I haven't had a Remington I couldn't make shoot well relatively easy in the factory configuration.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I bought a 243 ADL last fall. It shoots 1 MOA on factory federal blue fox. I'm just starting to tinker with reloads. I had an issue with the follower spring, Remington sent a new one, problem is fixed. About every 4th or 5th round fails to extract and flips around backwards in loading port. I will fix it.

I have four Rem 700's from 1996 to 2014 and they all had problems.

300wm rough chamber
30-06 canted recoil lug and oversized firing pin hole
7-08 - rough chamber, but very accurate rifle
243 - feeding / extraction issue

All that I have owned needed some work. That being said, I would still buy another if I ran across a deal.

On a side note, I decided to buy a Tikka to play around with. My only experience is as follows: Unbox, Clean, adjust trigger, mount scope, shoot, and very accurate. (maybe I just got lucky)

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
gt50, I don't think your experience with your Tikka is uncommon at all. My 65 year old brother-in-law got one 2-3 months ago and now he thinks he's a sniper:)

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Up until recent years, the 700 was pretty much the only action available to build upon. Out of the box accuracy was 'acceptable' on most and some even shone quite well in that regards.
With the increase in affordable rifles (a la Savage, Tikka, Howa, Vanguard etc), Remington has fallen somewhat behind in my opinion. Targeting the mass-merchants instead of the individual dealers made them more $$ but allowed them to rest on their laurels from prior years.
In reading many posts on many different sites it seems that many purchase a Remington knowing they will have to do something to it to 'make it shoot'. When there are other manufacturers out there that produce a rifle for near the same costs as the Remingtons, for a guy to want an 'off the shelf' shooter to buy a Remington is a crap shoot.

Saying all of that, if you are looking for an 'economical' action to build a custom rifle off of, the 700 is one of the better one's out there. But you still have lesser priced models to choose from (Savage, for example) that are less expensive donors to deal with.

All of this depends upon the buyer's needs and wants. If you're happy with a rifle that shoots 'minute-of-deer' then just about anything off of the shelf in your price range will work. If you are wanting something sub-moa with the least amount of effort, there are models out there that work just fine for that as well. If you are looking for the .5" MOA rifle, you're probably going to have to either buy several rifles to find ONE that will consistently do that, re-load for one specific rifle to do that or invest in the entire build process. If your goal is to shoot itty-bitty-tiny-bugholes, then a build based upon a 700 or similar action, or one of the more precise, high-dollar actions may be what you're after.

It will all come down to the individual's goal and pocket book.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I always find it funny to read that some guy's wont buy a new Remington 700 account the chitty quality, My guess is it makes them feel better about their old rifles....I have bought a dozen or more new Remington Model 700's in the last 3 years and every one shot at least MOA right out of the box, they also functioned flawlessly....All rifle makers will build the occasional turd but IMO Remington is building as good a rifle (or better) than they ever have..........Hb

Can't agree with you that Remington is building as good a rifle (or better) than they ever have.

I will agree with you on the premise that in 25 years, these will be called the "good ole days."

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I dont think its just Remington making some of their best rifles these days I think with the modern CNC machinery used by todays rifle makers that all rifle makers are building some very accurate rifles, with this new latest and greatest CNC machinery the tolerences are tighter than they could have dreamed of back in the day and as much as it might hurt some feelings at the range we dont have to spend a pile of money to obtain a very accurate and well functioning rifle, Rugers American line along with the TC Venture models and Id throw Tikka in this catagory of cheap rifles that I have wittnessed Being superbly accurate and well functioning......................If your talking pretty wood and deep rich blueing? well that is another story, IMO those days are long gone with todays mid-priced "everymans rifle" you will have to get into more spendy models to get those features..................Hb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.