Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by kend
I have enough property. I was thinking more like .223/.556 by the pallet for a start. There is probably some law preventing that.

Gentleman I know did just that. He paid by credit card and within weeks the ATF sent him a letter and (asked) him to drive 200 miles to their St Louis office for an interview. He complied and told them that he had split the ammo with three friends. After a long interview they advised him that they would be watching him for unauthorized ammo sales. I'm thinking that they would have had to made the 20o mile drive as they were the ones requesting the interview. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hotload
Question - Keep thinking about cashing out the stocks and using the money to pay off the mortgage. confused

In finance, you address this as a "present value" calculation. If you have a fixed mortgage, you only have uncertainty on one side of the equation, the stock market side, but if you have a variable mortgage, then you have uncertainty on both sides, which adds to the complexity.

The simple way to look at this is to compare the rate on your mortgage vs your expected risk adjusted market return and keep your money in which ever is greater.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The solution isn't hard.

The timing is.

Have Dog

Will Travel

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wageslave

The solution isn't hard.

The timing is.

The Fed has ended QE and is preparing to raise rates. Rising rates are bad for corporate earnings. Earnings drive stock prices.

There's your hint.

If you have a variable rate mortgage, there is another hint.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd buy some good farm ground for a reasonable price.

No mortgage here.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Regardless, the USA is still the largest super-power ever and we're a long way from Greece's position.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Guns and ammo. Always a good investment.

yep, its known as the 401g in my family.

My diploma is a DD214
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
$64 dollar question

the smart folks I pay to read pretty well think the can will be kicked down the road a bit longer

wish I knew for sure, worked hard the last 40 years, trying to work that hard again for the next 40 doesn't seem palatable.

hope we've got our bases covered, but I doubt it, know we're in better financial shape than many with some good options as to where to live, how to get food and hopefully some other needs or desires.

try and remain grateful for such.

Yup! It very well could happen here but I believe it's at least 10+ years off. Maybe not even in our lifetime.

There's a whole lot of other stuff I would take over just pallet loads of guns and ammo.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
Question - Keep thinking about cashing out the stocks and using the money to pay off the mortgage.
That could turn into a "wish I woulda" pretty fast. I wouldn't think about it much longer, but do it. Good for you.

Like most things in life its a little more complex. As I understand it, the home/mortgage are what
the lawyers call Tenancy in Common. Meaning the wife and I need to agree on this.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yah David, but have you seen what a pallet load of strippers is running these days?

I can't afford it, the wife told me so frown

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by RickyD
Question - Keep thinking about cashing out the stocks and using the money to pay off the mortgage.
That could turn into a "wish I woulda" pretty fast. I wouldn't think about it much longer, but do it. Good for you.

Like most things in life its a little more complex. As I understand it, the home/mortgage are what
the lawyers call Tenancy in Common. Meaning the wife and I need to agree on this.
Of course it's always a good idea to have your better half on board with any such decision, but I do believe the only thing you would legally need your wife's signature for would be to sell the house, not to pay it off. Still, I fully understand and concur with your point.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My personal leaning is property but then again they tax that around here. I need to make some decisions too, as it's time to start cashing in some IRA's.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/02/15.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Property can be a good long term investment, but it's no different than any other investment. You need to do your research to be able to assess whether a property is a good property or a bad property and whether or not it is fairly priced. If the funds available for investing in land need to be fairly liquid, land is a bad investment.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Kend,

There's a lot of politics in the price of ammo. If you think Hitlery will win, sure buy a couple of pallets. If a decent Republican wins the Whitehouse, we could see .223 Ammo back down to $200 a case.

You can plan on it going up via the coming election. nuther thread fodder.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
I have enough property. I was thinking more like .223/.556 by the pallet for a start. There is probably some law preventing that.

Gentleman I know did just that. He paid by credit card and within weeks the ATF sent him a letter and (asked) him to drive 200 miles to their St Louis office for an interview. He complied and told them that he had split the ammo with three friends. After a long interview they advised him that they would be watching him for unauthorized ammo sales. I'm thinking that they would have had to made the 20o mile drive as they were the ones requesting the interview. GW

So what seller ratted him out to the Bat boys?

Last edited by Szumi; 07/02/15.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
yah David, but have you seen what a pallet load of strippers is running these days?

I can't afford it, the wife told me so frown

I see what Mama did there Randy!! grin Smart lady!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Szumi
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

So what seller ratted him out to the Bat boys?

Unlikely it was the seller. His payment of several thousand dollars by credit card may have set off alarms somewhere. Like the over ten thousand dollar cash transactions that the government requires banks to report. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,517
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.