Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by shaman
I used to know this fellow that was on subs from the 60's through the 90's. He hinted that there was some sort of lubricating system that would exude a substance that would dramatically enhance a sub's ability to slip through the water on an emergency basis. I wonder if y'all had heard of it, and if it had ever been used on a surface vessel.

The Navy experimented with double hulled ships in the late 1970's and early '80's; the space between the hulls was hollow and high-pressure air was pumped into the space. Small holes in the outer hull would allow bubbles to escape and flow around the hull, thus "lubricating" the hull/water interface and reducing friction. This had a two-fold effect - increasing speed and/or reducing fuel consumption.

The big drawback was increased hull noise as the bubbles surfaced and the compressor noise was detectable.

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
.......and I gather they are even faster underwater, than on top.
And you'd "gather" correctly.. smile

When on top the screw catches air and can't get a full bite.. Submerged - that's a whole different story..

And, the deeper you go, the higher the water pressure and the lesser the cavitation. Go deeper - go faster!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by djs
I used to know this fellow that was on subs from the 60's through the 90's. He hinted that there was some sort of lubricating system that would exude a substance that would dramatically enhance a sub's ability to slip through the water on an emergency basis. I wonder if y'all had heard of it, and if it had ever been used on a surface vessel.

The Navy experimented with double hulled ships in the late 1970's and early '80's; the space between the hulls was hollow and high-pressure air was pumped into the space. Small holes in the outer hull would allow bubbles to escape and flow around the hull, thus "lubricating" the hull/water interface and reducing friction. This had a two-fold effect - increasing speed and/or reducing fuel consumption.

The big drawback was increased hull noise as the bubbles surfaced and the compressor noise was detectable.

As I recall, they ditched the concept for subs, but continued to experiment with in on surface vessels.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
32 is certainly reasonable. Problem was, they installed these huge bulges on Midway in her later years and the parasitic drag was significant.

If I recall correctly, the bulges (sponsons) were intended to increase buoyancy as the Midway became heavier with heavier aircraft, heavier equipment modifications, etc. While they did increase buoyancy, they also resulted in the ship becoming less stable in heavy seas and rolling increased.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by djs

As I recall, they ditched the concept for subs, but continued to experiment with in on surface vessels.

Yes, I once had a business partner who was the contractor's project manager on the surface ship project.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by djs
32 is certainly reasonable. Problem was, they installed these huge bulges on Midway in her later years and the parasitic drag was significant.

If I recall correctly, the bulges (sponsons) were intended to increase buoyancy as the Midway became heavier with heavier aircraft, heavier equipment modifications, etc. While they did increase buoyancy, they also resulted in the ship becoming less stable in heavy seas and rolling increased.

I flew off the Midway in the '80,'82 timeframe before they put the sponsons on her. She was notorious for a "Dutch Roll" when seas got a bit rough so in addition to the deck moving up and down, it would wallow left and right too...it could cause some severe vertigo and chasing of lineup, especially at night.

The American engineers came up with the idea of the sponsons at the waterline to act sort of like outriggers, thereby helping to stabilize any rolling moment.

The Japanese engineers said the extra weight that far from the centerline would cause more inertia for any rolling motion.

The American engineers said, "no it won't." The Japanese engineers said, "yes it will." "No it won't!" "yes it will!

The Japanese engineers finally gave up.

They put the sponsons on and guess what? The rolling and "Dutch Roll" got a LOT worse.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by djs

Hard to believe they would be stupid enough to try it. Bubbles are real bad if you are trying to be quiet.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Technology works and is still being used today, bubbles are so microscopic that its not like blowing ballast.

Phil

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Must be fast attacks, The Pac Tridents don't use it.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It sounds like a method of boundary layer control used on aircraft. Some airplanes will have small pores in the skin in certain areas where small amounts of bleed air from the engines are pumped through to break up the boundary layer, thus reducing drag.

The boundary layer on an aircraft (or sub/ship hull) is the area right next the skin where at a microscopic level the air or water kind of "sticks" to the skin. If you can break up that "stickiness" then you can cut down on a lot of the drag so you can go faster with less power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_layer

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 32 knot capability was less than ten years before decommissioning. And as I stated, at that point the boilers were nearly out of air, meaning that wouldn't have been a normal operating condition for the engineering plant.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Scott F

Hard to believe they would be stupid enough to try it. Bubbles are real bad if you are trying to be quiet.
Um, no..

Even the Razorback had the (at the time, new) prairie masker system which generated those microscopic bubbles to quiet the noise.. It worked too.

We were on training ops outside SD with some destroyers and it was getting close to the end. They had little trouble tracking us for the most part (WWII subs are NOT really quiet) and the Cap'n wanted to get home and have a brewski - so he gave the order to fire up the masker.

All of sudden we 'disappeared' from those destroyers, surfaced just outside 1-SD when they were still 50+ miles out and tied up an hour later.. Them destroyer boys were pizzed. We weren't 'supposed to do that'..

Cap'n basically said, "tough chit"...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Alfas were FAST but like most Soviet stuff, crap. It was SO noisy, we could pick them up just about every time they put to sea.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
As a goal, an aircraft carrier should be able to do at least 40 knots because it needs that airspeed across its deck to launch planes. The USS Midway was capable of that in the late 70s although you'd think she was coming apart. I'm sure the nuke ships are capable of much more.

No way Midway could anywhere near 35, much less thirty, especially with the stabilizing bulges added in her senior years. As far as "wind", sure you can generate your own wind, but depending on aircraft launch weight, 25kts is a good rule of thumb.

Nimitz Class carriers have only TWO reactors. Enterprise has eight, she was the first nuke carrier and what they did there was install 8 SSN reactors and BTW she was the fastest of all our carriers, because of her hull SHAPE which really plays a big part in determining realistic attainable speeds. I can tell you that I saw 36 kts on NIMITZ.. j
Truth.

It takes 10 knots of wind to make a whitecap and that is good flying weather on a carrier.

I launched 2 planes off the Kennedy while at anchor in Hurghada, Egypt. Any guesses as to which airframes?

Departed NS Mayport FL, in JFK one calm morning with the full wing aboard. I launched in an A-7E with ship doing around 5 Kts just as we passed the breakwater. Light jet, but still impressive kick in the pants from Cat 1. Hell of a lot of fun!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Redneck

Um, no..

Even the Razorback had the (at the time, new) prairie masker system
Had no idea Prairie Masker was that old. Still in use today on the DDG's and CG's. They are also blowing bubbles out of another underwater part.

ETA: Since you can find it on the net, they also blow bleed air out of the screws too. Nothing to do with speed, it masks acoustic signature.

Last edited by KSMITH; 07/02/15.

-Piss into the wind.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Hard to believe they would be stupid enough to try it. Bubbles are real bad if you are trying to be quiet. [/quote]Pretty much the opposite, bleed air from the turbines make the bubble layer to mask acoustics signature. Apparently works pretty well as they put a lot of money into them to ensure they work.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S-3 if memory serves was the only jet certified to launch whilst at anchor and even downwind. I've done the downwind thing and yeah, hell of a kick in the ass from the CAT!>

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
S-3 if memory serves was the only jet certified to launch whilst at anchor and even downwind. I've done the downwind thing and yeah, hell of a kick in the ass from the CAT!>
That was one of the aircraft I kicked off at anchor in Hurghada during Desert Storm, the other was a Hawkeye. In the middle of the war we were down to 2 cats and launching alpha strikes off 2 cats was difficult at best. We anchored off Hurghada to bring in the VRT and Tech Reps to expedite getting us back in the fight.Can't remember the importance of needing to get those 2 birds of the deck though. Supposedly a COD and Hawkeye can free deck but I never saw it happen.

I wonder what they set the cat at for a S-3 downwind launch? I would worry a Tomcat stroke might rip the launch bar/nose gear off and sling it in the water. laugh

Last edited by KSMITH; 07/02/15.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We did a lot of SUCAP during Desert Storm. One of our DHs took out an Iraqi Patrol Boat with a D-704 Buddy Store when the idiot right seater selected the wrong weapon station and another squadron destroyed Saddam's boat (converted DE) with a Maverick. All we needed was 10KT excess, which makes for a hell of a shot!

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N

"Flanker Ops" (fly at anchor)

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,031
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.