Hop To
Page 4 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 6 37 38
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Two that I enjoyed:

The Recollections and Letters of Robert E. Lee by his son Capt. Robert E. Lee

StoneWall Jackson. The Man, The Soldier, The Legend. James L. Robertson, Jr.

Those are two more outstanding volumes.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HBB
The first step I would suggest is to see how the Civil War fits into the continuum of history. To do this you are going to have to begin with a clear understanding of the events prior to the outbreak of hostilities.

To this end I would suggest using 1861 as a starting date and go back at least 50 years....

HBB,

I don't disagree with your methodology if your intent is to raise awareness or knowledge among academics.

I think to help the general public understand what they think and feel about the Civil War, the most important 50 years is the last 50 years, and how the symbols of the civil War have been used to influence and manipulate peoples emotions for political or financial gain.

Whether Senator X caned Senator Y and when, and whatfor, probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans to a person of 30, 40 or 50 years old today.

It's what Daddy told them, or GrandPappy told them, and understanding where and why GrandPappy heard it, and repeated it is most important.

YMMV,

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
Tagging this thread.

Tag, participate man participate. smile

I have a substantial knowledge of WWII, a medium knowledge of Vietnam, and have only read a few books (Killer Angels stands out) on the War Against the States. While I've seen several of the battlefields, I wouldn't add much.

I want to take time and learn about it as it seems to be the focal point of the talking head media/government right now.

smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by HBB
The first step I would suggest is to see how the Civil War fits into the continuum of history. To do this you are going to have to begin with a clear understanding of the events prior to the outbreak of hostilities.

To this end I would suggest using 1861 as a starting date and go back at least 50 years....

HBB,

I don't disagree with your methodology if your intent is to raise awareness or knowledge among academics.

I think to help the general public understand what they think and feel about the Civil War, the most important 50 years is the last 50 years, and how the symbols of the civil War have been used to influence and manipulate peoples emotions for political or financial gain.

Whether Senator X caned Senator Y and when, and whatfor, probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans to a person of 30, 40 or 50 years old today.

It's what Daddy told them, or GrandPappy told them, and understanding where and why GrandPappy heard it, and repeated it is most important.

YMMV,

Sycamore

If you are going to open the eyes of these people they will have to know what really happened and just how complex it was.

If they go back and do their own research and see for themselves and can think at all they will be able to see beyond all that has happened in the last 50 years.

If they can't get to that understanding themselves they will never listen to a fat, old Historian like me.

The study and synthesis of History can be a tough job and its not tied to videos and cell phones which makes it even tougher for the current generation. That is why the knotheads in the public schools are either rewriting or just avoiding History altogether and the far Left is making so much hay.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tagging this thread.

Tag, participate man participate. smile

I have a substantial knowledge of WWII, a medium knowledge of Vietnam, and have only read a few books (Killer Angels stands out) on the War Against the States. While I've seen several of the battlefields, I wouldn't add much.

I want to take time and learn about it as it seems to be the focal point of the talking head media/government right now.

smile

Killer Angels is a good book. Ask questions and add what you can. Every little bit helps a thread like this.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hillbillybear;
Good evening to you sir and thanks so much for the very interesting thread.

Hopefully it's OK for me as a northern neighbor to express an interest in another country's history - but then as a historian you likely know that somewhere around 40000 Canucks or folks from what was soon to be Canada went south to fight for both sides.

There were also something like 12000 from the states who crossed north to avoid the draft so I read.

Lastly, there's strong evidence that the War Between the States was a major catalyst to the formation of Canada itself so it's always been of interest to me personally.

On another personal note my wife's great grandfather fought in it and is buried in Minnesota.

Anyway sir, thanks for the reading list and methodology involved I appreciate you taking the time. All the best to you and yours this summer.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/02/15.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The problem America has today is that our entire society is being intentionally demonized and corrupted. The conditions in America prior to the civil war makes for an easy target and those who are contaminating our country with their extreme leftist ideology are using that history to expedite their agenda.

This is *ONLY* possible because the Civil War destroyed the individual sovereignty of the states and put us under the thumb of a central power.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
A book I enjoyed was the account written by Sir Arthur J L Fremantle and how he got from Mexico to the field at Gettysburg. Then Back to Great Britain.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
hillbillybear;
Good evening to you sir and thanks so much for the very interesting thread.

Hopefully it's OK for me as a northern neighbor to express an interest in another country's history - but then as a historian you likely know that somewhere around 40000 Canucks or folks from what was soon to be Canada went south to fight for both sides.

There were also something like 12000 from the states who crossed north to avoid the draft so I read.

Lastly, there's strong evidence that the War Between the States was a major catalyst to the formation of Canada itself so it's always been of interest to me personally.

On another personal note my wife's great grandfather fought in it and is buried in Minnesota.

Anyway sir, thanks for the reading list and methodology involved I appreciate you taking the time. All the best to you and yours this summer.

Dwayne

Glad you joined us. That is great information on the Canadian side, Hope all is well in the north Country.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
A book I enjoyed was the account written by Sir Arthur J L Fremantle and how he got from Mexico to the field at Gettysburg. Then Back to Great Britain.

That is an outstanding book.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The problem America has today is that our entire society is being intentionally demonized and corrupted. The conditions in America prior to the civil war makes for an easy target and those who are contaminating our country with their extreme leftist ideology are using that history to expedite their agenda.

This is *ONLY* possible because the Civil War destroyed the individual sovereignty of the states and put us under the thumb of a central power.

The Marxists are doing their best to hang us and we are helping to knot the rope.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

That is an outstanding book.

His serendipitous meeting with an aged Sam Houston on the coach made for a good story!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

The Marxists are doing their best to hang us and we are helping to knot the rope.

Well,....once a central power took hold of America, it was just a matter of time.

You know what they say about absolute power.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here is the Fremantle volume. Get it and read it if you can:

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Months-...r=8-1&keywords=col.+arthur+fremantle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who's gonna start the revolving book club?

Lots of great reads here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is *ONLY* possible because the Civil War destroyed the individual sovereigntny of the states and put us under the thumb of a central power.

Brother, you are not kidding! They, never, ever disengage, either.

Another book about the Civil War I've enjoyed is "Mary Chesnut's Civil War," edited by C. Vann Woodward, Yale University Press, © 1981. Mary Chestnut is very well educated and highly articulate. This is complied from the many years daily diary of Mary Chestnut, a South Carolinian lady from an old, prestigious southern family, a plantation owner and slave owner.

It's a day-to-day observation by Chestnut, whose husband, James Chestnut, was a well known, influential politician, very high up in the Confederate Administration. Mary and James knew many of the very heavy hitters, including high level generals and colonels, southern senators, congressmen, governors, etc. She noted from her perspective the beginning of the War, its horrendous course, and its tragic ending.

It's a very interesting read of the era, from the perspective of one who was there.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I will take your suggested reading material and hope to read it before I get cslled.
I am now reading a most interesting book by Orlando Figes, "A Peoples Tragedy - The Russian Revolution 1891 - 1924.
I will be looking for parallels to our Civil War which predates their conflagration and our current situation USA 2015. Looking back from FDR to Obozo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1sgLunde
I haven't read all of the replies on this thread. At 80 years my attention span is short.

I lived in Wisconsin for 69 years near Madison (the liberal capital of the world). I have the greatest respect for the South and for the cause they fought so valiantly for. My great-grandfather served in the Wisconsin Regiment so I believe I have some voice here.

The Civil War was not about slavery but State's Rights and Lincoln's ego. No president ever cost so many patriotic American lives - North and South.
v

In a succinct & elegantly simple way, this is about as close as a simple explanation of the Civil War as I've ever seen.......especially the comment about Lincoln's ego, what a POS he was.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Robert E. Lee understood the purpose of the Civil War better than anyone. I just found this quote by him today and it struck such a chord that I had to make it my tagline. Nostradamus had nothing on Robert E. Lee when it came to foretelling future events.

The consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.
thx 4 that

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So if the South was all about reduction of federal power and increase of state's rights, how does that reconcile with the South using federal power for decades to push the federal Fugitive Slave Act onto the North, threatening anybody who even fed a SUSPECTED runaway with a year in jail and $1000 fine? Using the federal gov't to refuse to allow free blacks in the North to even be allowed to testify in court about whether they were runaway or free?

Interesting to me is that the largest increase in the use of jury nullification was Northerners refusing to convict people violating the immoral and unConstitutional Fugitive Slave Act.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Page 4 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 6 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (163bc, 257_X_50, 160user, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 69sportfury, 17 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,113
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.