Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ingwe, really like the McFlame.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A man of discriminating tastes.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

Actually, I like Ruger No. 1's for shooting abundant rodents quite a bit, especially my 1B .22 Hornet. If the shooting’s not hot and heavy, there’s no big hurry anyway, and when it is there's often not enough time to reload magazines, so I’m often single-loading rounds anyway. The 1B Hornet is far easier to single-load than any bolt gun. I have the ejector set so the empty barely pops out of the chamber, where it’s stopped by the tang safety button, and lies there in the little trough where I can grab it easily.
For walking around I wear a shirt with two chest pockets, and keep loaded rounds in one and empties in the other. When shooting from a vehicle, whether from inside or over the hood, I keep a 50 or 100-round box of ammo open so I can drop an empty in the space it was just plucked from, then grab another loaded round to slide into the chamber.
I don’t end up having to pick empties up off the ground or pickup floor (where they can get lost or stomped) and can keep shooting almost as fast as somebody working a bolt—but without having to load a magazine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tom,

Actually, I like Ruger No. 1's for shooting abundant rodents quite a bit, especially my 1B .22 Hornet. If the shooting’s not hot and heavy, there’s no big hurry anyway, and when it is there's often not enough time to reload magazines, so I’m often single-loading rounds anyway. The 1B Hornet is far easier to single-load than any bolt gun. I have the ejector set so the empty barely pops out of the chamber, where it’s stopped by the tang safety button, and lies there in the little trough where I can grab it easily.
For walking around I wear a shirt with two chest pockets, and keep loaded rounds in one and empties in the other. When shooting from a vehicle, whether from inside or over the hood, I keep a 50 or 100-round box of ammo open so I can drop an empty in the space it was just plucked from, then grab another loaded round to slide into the chamber.
I don’t end up having to pick empties up off the ground or pickup floor (where they can get lost or stomped) and can keep shooting almost as fast as somebody working a bolt—but without having to load a magazine.

John, I think you would have made as good an accountant as a gun writer but probably wouldn't have had as much fun..

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
FryrepowrX: I usually don't go in for "gawdy" finished Rifles and pistols but this one is kind of pleasing for me to look at.
Please let us know how it shoots.
I have a factory stock Remington 700 VSF (Varmint, Synthetic Fluted) in 17 Remington Fireball - it has a Leupold 6x18 variable scope on it.
It shoots exceptionally well and is great fun to Varmint Hunt with.
The 17 Remington Fireball is an excellent and efficient Varminting caliber.
Thanks for the great pictures.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JB: agreed, a #1 would be a choice if you were shooting a single shot. I do the two pockets thing like you, also do the 50 or 100 round box thing from the mobile rest.
I almost went with a #1-A last year when they made them in a deuce...

Kinda kicking myself that I didn't....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

My own T/C, a product of Iowa deer hunting regulations and my disquieted mind. I want late season where only a "handgun" or mzlelr are legal. I have long ago fallen out of love for the charcoal burners and juggling components, so..

Our "handguns" must fire straight-walled cartridges, and not be fire from the shoulder. There is no limit on barrel length. This one is a full bull (thank goodness) and 18". Went right to Horn's Leverevolution bullets for more BC and hope to have a lay-down 200-250 yard deer thumper. By Bullberry in Utah; good work.

[Linked Image]

Apologize, not quite varmint armentarium. But a T/C, nevertheless.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is pretty wild -- that and the bobwire flooting. Holy mackerel that's wretched p1mp excess -- but I love it.

Everyone needs at least one firearm that hurts to look at....

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife's NULA .257 Roberts was unanimously voted the Ugliest Hunting Rifle at a gathering in a hotel bar in Glenrock, Wyoming a while back.

At first there was one hold-out, our young friend Casey Tillard, a local rancher, who thought Eileen would be offended. But when she told him she thought it was really ugly herself, Casey said, "Well, hell, then it gets my vote too!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Would that be at the Higgins?

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes indeed. Have spent quite a few evenings there.

You should have purchased that No. 1 deuce....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know......but I figured if I started shooting gophs with a classy gun, Shrapnel would want to hang out with me.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Especially if you put a Swarovski on it. Though I suspect he doesn't believe any sort of Ruger is classy.

I got the hots for a 1B in .22 Hornet after a farmer friend up on the Hiline let me shoot his 1b in .218 Bee all one afternoon. Almost bought that one from him (he was thinking of selling) but then somehow got rational about finding brass and bought the Hornet instead. With 40-grain plastic-tips at 3100 it's a 300-yard PD rifle if the wind isn't blowing too hard, and have killed them out past 400 on calmer days.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If a man is going to carry more than 1 round in the field they might as well be stored in a magazine.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In a thread featuring the Red Rocket, and the McFlame (we'll leave that bland black-grey thing out of this), I must say I've always liked that "Sun Flower" of yours too Scott.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really need to get my Tube Gun experiment done. THEN you people will know the true meaning of ugly.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1936M71, 06hunter59, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.