Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
As far as I am concerned, 5 data readings are adequate to tell you something. Statistics are a good tool, but going to the nth degree never was meaningful to me when I ran manufacturing or with chronographs at the range. You don't have to go to three decimal places to know what is going on.

What does the data from the original post show for ave vel when you throw out the high and low of each 5 shot string????

What happens when the experiment is repeated????

If your equipment is not that repeatable/exact (scale, chrony,) then I personally would have little use for more data.

Just me, and I am just a hobbyist/hunter shooter.
Tim

Five, or three?

Why censor the high and low?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
All sorts of stuff is inferred by shooters using short light-screen chronographs in varying temperature conditions, shooting too-small samples.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by bushrat
For all intensive purposes they may as well be mixed together and called the same load.

For all intents and purposes, I would think for all intensive purposes you would want more uniformity than that...

Why would your intent & purposes be so intensive? Shooting is supposed to be fun.laugh

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
"Five, or three?
Take a completed spc chart using 5 data point averages and go back over it just looking at the first three readings and do a median chart right over the original (maybe in a different color). Look at the two plotted together and see if the 3 point median chart doesn't tell basically the same story. It is also easier for the operator to use (no add and divide).
It worked great in mfg. but probably not worth much elsewhere.
And I it is all pretty much electronically captured now.

"Why censor the high and low?"
Mostly just looking for flyers, and see above comments.

I really would like to see a repeat of the shooting session and see how that data looks.
Just my 2 cents.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
All sorts of stuff is inferred by shooters using short light-screen chronographs in varying temperature conditions, shooting too-small samples.

But it's fun to worry over until guys like you come along. wink Apparently the relationship between charge and velocity holds even with H4831 or you would've found it with your experience and lab contacts. Sometimes that's why we bring it up. (A somewhat cryptic thanks.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have also seen way too many single "first groups." whether 3-shot or 5-shot, that couldn't be reproduced after firing several groups.

Has happened a few times to me too. Shot an itty bitty group then loaded 20 rounds and never duplicated said group. Sometimes not even close.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Have also seen way too many single "first groups." whether 3-shot or 5-shot, that couldn't be reproduced after firing several groups.

Has happened a few times to me too. Shot an itty bitty group then loaded 20 rounds and never duplicated said group. Sometimes not even close.

I think the saying goes, "large groups WILL repeat; small groups MAY repeat."

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by navlav8r

I think the saying goes, "large groups WILL repeat; small groups MAY repeat."

I use this when starting with something new. I don't load up a bunch of every variation. I load 3-5 and look for trends at the start. If I get a small variation with a few shots, it doesn't tell me much. If I get a large variation with a few shots, it tells me enough.

I don't bother with the small variation in charge weight that the OP did when trying to make some real data. With cartridges the capacity of the OP's, the smallest charge variation I bother with is 1 grain, and sometimes opt for 1.5-2 grains. For small cartridges, like 223 and smaller, I generally use 1/2 grain variation, and never any smaller than that. Even with small pistol cases like 9mm, I've only used .3 grain variation a few times; generally, I either load whatever charge seems appropriate based on the target velocity, or step in half-grains if I have no idea what the results will be with a set of components.

I concur that the combination of the limited chronograph, the tiny variation in powder change, and the small sample size explains the non-linear results.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I just recently had some similar data results with large spreads while shooting thru a Chrony with light shields in the mid morning. I believe the issue was with the shields not staying secured and sun light coming thru some trees. Did not have enough ammo to do any experimenting with the chrony.

I have seen loads run out of gas with 4831 as the charge went up also.

As far as I am concerned, 5 data readings are adequate to tell you something. Statistics are a good tool, but going to the nth degree never was meaningful to me when I ran manufacturing or with chronographs at the range. You don't have to go to three decimal places to know what is going on.

What does the data from the original post show for ave vel when you throw out the high and low of each 5 shot string????

What happens when the experiment is repeated????

If your equipment is not that repeatable/exact (scale, chrony,) then I personally would have little use for more data.

Just me, and I am just a hobbyist/hunter shooter.
Tim

+1 smile

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you want readings that are more reliable and more often repeatable, I recommend an Oehler 35P and set the screens further apart with a longer screen rod on 2 tripods.

10 shot averages over that set up is as good as is reasonable from the hobbiest aspect.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Exactly.

Most of the chronographs used by handloaders have very short screen spacings. I've tested several against my Oehler 35P, and while most small, cheap chronographs provide a similar average velocity, individual shots are often quite a ways from the same shot over an Oehler.

This means when shooting only short strings, like the typical 3-5 rounds taken by most handloaders, the data is almost useless for statistical analysis. Which is why I don't have much faith (and wouldn't worry much if it was my rifle) about the limited data that started this entire thread. If you want meaningful readings from individual shots, or short strings of shots, then you have to use a more accurate chronograph.

I have yet to encounter a short "affordable" light-screen chronograph that provides that sort of accuracy. Some don't even provide repeatable results from the same load under slightly differing light conditions, and yet many shooters regard their results as indications of all sorts of stuff.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
And after you've done it a few times and developed a routine, setting up an Oehler 35P isn't the ordeal some Chrony users would think.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not even close.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've long since stopped chasing velocities, if want more then move to the next cartridge with more powder space. What I find is case prep (uniform primer pockets,flash holes deburred and chamfered, trim cases to exact length every firing,anneal cases every firing), exact charge weights everytime, concentric cartridges. This helps get your extreme spread into the single digits, this makes your ballistic information (from a program like Bergers) much more reliable, the Quickload program will get you on a 'node' relatively quick. The charge weight can be adjusted to stay on that node when things like temperature and seating depths are changed. Precision will follow . You need a reliable chronograph for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
And after you've done it a few times and developed a routine, setting up an Oehler 35P isn't the ordeal some Chrony users would think.

How does the CED M2 compare as far as accuracy goes?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Originally Posted by mathman

How does the CED M2 compare as far as accuracy goes?

Bob, here's a chapter from one of Bryan's books where he flushes out numerous chonographs. He thought favorable of the CED M2. His main point of emphasis (and concern) was the stability of the sky-screens.

http://appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ChronographChapter.pdf

Last edited by 32_20fan; 07/10/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks 32.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.