-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is about the OP, remember, not you or me.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by centershot
And if you or wife or kids wanted to hunt deer with it the .243 would do nicely - .223 marginal.

That's where I think I would step up to the .308: I could load it to .30-30 velocities for the bushes (I think the Win 70 FWT is more ergonomic than a 336) or just buy factory 165 grain loads and they should work fine.

Fair point about wife or kids: would 150 grain SPs at ~2600 fps be a mild enough deer hunting load to suffice?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Depends on the wife and kids. I have known some that could handle that easily, and some that couldn't--and not just women and kids, but big strong men.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PaleRider

You forgot about Shrapnel........... smile

Shrap doesn't talk about himself. He just posts pictures of himself.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
That's where I think I would step up to the .308: I could load it to .30-30 velocities for the bushes (I think the Win 70 FWT is more ergonomic than a 336) or just buy factory 165 grain loads and they should work fine.

Fair point about wife or kids: would 150 grain SPs at ~2600 fps be a mild enough deer hunting load to suffice?

I wouldn't bother with any of that schit. Let them use the .223.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by centershot
- .223 marginal.

Yeah. Marginally fugking UBER!

Travis

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Depends on the wife and kids. I have known some that could handle that easily, and some that couldn't--and not just women and kids, but big strong men.

I know the feeling. Some days the .375 H&H doesn't bother me, and others the .223 makes me jumpy. Not necessarily in that order either.

Then I read about skeet shooters who wind up destroyed for flinching and use release triggers because their nervous systems are so battered.

I'm getting the impression that there is no such thing as 'recoil hardening': only a TLV for nervous system tolerance over time.

What's your take?

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Several people have mentioned rebarreling the .243, as a response to some of us who mentioned it burns barrels quicker than the other cartridges philthygeezer shoots.

Rebarreling is certainly an option, but I don't know if any of these people noticed that he lives in Canada, where it isn't as cheap or easy to rebarrel a rifle as it is in the U.S. I've been told this by several of my friends living in western Canada, and just had BC30cal (Dwayne) confirm it in a PM. Rebarreling costs are up to $1000, and while that's in Canadian dollars worth about 3/4 of U.S. dollars right now, I doubt many of us regularly pay $750 for a rebarrel job. This is partly due to more regulations on gunsmiths in Canada, one reason there aren't as many there, which is another problem with rebarreling.

Even just trading off a .243 with a barrel that's starting to go isn't as easy in Canada, partly because most rifles are imported, and not as cheap as they are here.

As noted earlier, I own two .243's and so does my wife, and we shoot them considerably. But when (not if) I shoot out the barrel on my Ruger American Rifle it's no big deal.

This is why I suggested he sell his .243 and keep the .223 and .308 for target shooting. Both have much longer barrel life than the typical .243. Plus, it turns out his .243 has a standard 1-10 twist so isn't ideal for longer match bullets.

John,

It's cheaper and easier than a lot of people think- you just have to wait for the right deal on a good barrel, and know the right 'smith to send it to. There are plenty of both around if a fella knows where to look. Selling used rifles is also pretty easy, although the prospect of buying a rifle and re-barreling is certainly looked upon more skeptically here than in the U.S.

The other point I was going to make is that a 10" twist won't hinder the OP in the least, given that he only shoots out to 300 yards. Match-grade bullets under 100 gr would be his huckleberry for that kind of shooting. That's a two-edged sword, though. As much as I love the .243, and I was certainly going to recommend that he keep his...until I saw that he doesn't shoot past 300 yards. At that distance the .243 won't offer any practical advantage over his .223 and .308, but it does have a couple of palpable disadvantages.

That said, SHAME on us all for extinguishing the waning flame of a rifle looney among us grin

I think of it more as rekindling the flame of marksmanship by removing background complication. I can work on my field positions instead of spending time managing peripherals and working up loads for many different cartridges. A few good rifles in a few proven, mild-for-calibre cartridges would help me focus more on shooting than playing 'rifle Barbie' with gear. smile

The gunsmithing thing seems a chore since they are not easy to find and then the wait times are in months. The prices of everything have skyrocketed lately due to weak Canuckabucks, so rebarreling or replacing will cost a mint too. You state that one can lay in the weeds until striking when the right deal comes along, but will my barrel last long enough for that to work out? I think I'd avoid target practice with the .243 just to save money. The hassle seems enough to push one to archery...

I've shot so much rimfire in my life that the thought of a barrel losing accuracy after 1500 rounds seems very expensive regardless.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 06/24/15.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've known and hunted with people turned into incurable flinching fools by repeated heavy recoil. Essentially they're shooting addicts.

Like many of us, have also found stock fit makes a big difference. My wife always had a bad time with standard factory stocks, because they're designed for men, who have square shoulders and relatively short necks, while women tend to have more sloping shoulders and longer necks. As a result, the toe of the stock was right in the pocket of Eileen's shoulder, and it hurt when the rifle went off. If she lowered the butt so the pad was fully on her shoulder, her cheek was way above the comb, and hurt when it hit her cheekbone.

Then she had a custom stock made for her, on a light .308. It didn't hurt at all, because the pad is fully on her shoulder and the comb on her cheek. But when I shot the same rifle it's miserable, because I'm a typical guy with square shoulders and a short neck. The recoil pad is too low on my shoulder and the comb bites my cheek.

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive but don't shoot my big kickers unless there's some good reason anymore, and there usually isn't. Have also found it doesn't take nearly as much gun to kill most big game as many hunters believe. A good bullet in the right place does the job. My wife and I have shot plenty of big game animals here in Montana with various .22 centerfires, and so far all the animals died promptly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I've known and hunted with people turned into incurable flinching fools by repeated heavy recoil. Essentially they're shooting addicts.

Like many of us, have also found stock fit makes a big difference. My wife always had a bad time with standard factory stocks, because they're designed for men, who have square shoulders and relatively short necks, while women tend to have more sloping shoulders and longer necks. As a result, the toe of the stock was right in the pocket of Eileen's shoulder, and it hurt when the rifle went off. If she lowered the butt so the pad was fully on her shoulder, her cheek was way above the comb, and hurt when it hit her cheekbone.

Then she had a custom stock made for her, on a light .308. It didn't hurt at all, because the pad is fully on her shoulder and the comb on her cheek. But when I shot the same rifle it's miserable, because I'm a typical guy with square shoulders and a short neck. The recoil pad is too low on my shoulder and the comb bites my cheek.

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive but don't shoot my big kickers unless there's some good reason anymore, and there usually isn't. Have also found it doesn't take nearly as much gun to kill most big game as many hunters believe. A good bullet in the right place does the job. My wife and I have shot plenty of big game animals here in Montana with various .22 centerfires, and so far all the animals died promptly.

I agree completely about stock fit and can relate to sore cheekbones. The Knoxx Spec-Ops recoil absorbent 870 stock punched me in the face whenever I shot it. Going back to conventional was worlds better. The Remington 7600 has a high comb that I think would hurt me. Also, my 18.5" Remington Model Seven reared up on its hind legs and belted me whenever it got the chance. Thumbhole stocks never seem to fit me either - they rap the knuckle on my thumb.

I've seen more than a few friends put the toe of the butt in their shoulder pocket. A childhood friend even put his shotgun in the pocket between his shoulder and bicep. It hurts to watch. I kind of hunch and lean forward as I mount either rifle or shotgun offhand, so I may correct for some drop at comb but it's remarkably consistent if that is happening. I read some Fairbairn/Applegate stuff many decades ago that made me think shooting quickly should work with instinctive responses. Relaxed offhand target shooting with rimfires and .223 is a little different: straight up and down/elbow out, rifle knocked but not aggressively.

But I think I'm lucky. The Winchester Featherweight in .30-06 seemed like a fluffy kitten compared to that Model Seven in .308. Featherweights point like shotguns for me - I can look at something, raise and mount the rifle with eyes closed, and the cross hairs will be right where I was looking. The McMillan Compact Hunter fits about the same. Same thing happens with Beretta 686s and Remington 870s. I am very lucky to have such fine designs fit me so well. Winchester Sporter stocks also fit, but don't have the same balance as the Featherweight.

Strangely, I find myself looking across the rib with a Browning double, which is too bad as I really like them too.

I also think that more barrel length is a good thing as muzzle blast is jarring to me. I don't like it when someone shows up at the range next to me with a 16" AR15, but when they are 20" or longer they don't seem to bother me. I hate shorties - too loud! smile I go plugs and muffs when shooting and it still bugs me.

Reasonable weight seems to help too. I had a 24" push feed Model 70 Westerner in .270 with walnut and a blind magazine that was way nicer to shoot than the Model Seven. But I still think fit was just as if not more important than 5.5 inches of barrel and a half pound. The Winchesters come straight back. The Model Seven gave a bit more drama.

So for me, stock fit, barrel length and reasonable weight all seem to play in that order.

On cartridges: I want to include proficiency with the .308/.30-06 on up as I used to work in bear country, and would like to keep that skill set. We carried 12 gauges before (My first round of sporting clays someone remarked at how quickly I handled the pump for a newbie. Scored 36 IIRC. Funny how the ground targets broke more often! smile ), but now I think I'd be happier with a rifle at short range as Brennekes are hard to get here and ordinary Fosters leave me a little worried. Way easier to find factory .30-06, .338 WM or .375 H&H that would do just fine. Pepper spray, bangers and firearm. I probably won't shoot the .375 H&H prone, but that's not what I bought it for.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 06/24/15.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
I'm currently rationalizing my rifles in order to reload for a fewer number of cartridges. I'm a recreational shooter who enjoys using hunting weight sporters mainly for target practice in field positions out to about 300 yards. Hunting is of much lesser import for me.

I have .223, .243, .308, and .375. The .223 and .308 stay for sure. I haven't really tried the .243 yet.

- Should I sell off the .243 Win in the middle, or are there reasons to load for it as a recreational non-hunting cartridge?

- Is the cost about the same as the .308 to shoot?

- Can the shorter barrel life be lengthened by loading heavier bullets to ~2700 fps or so? Will they always wear out faster than .308? Would 110 or 130 grain .308 bullets be a better choice than lightly loaded 100 grain .243?

For centerfire rifles most folks could get through life very easily with a 223 and a 308, both have tons of load data and components available, there are relatively inexpensive over the counter loads available if you don't handload. The 308 is easy to download to a reasonable recoil level if you handload. Although I think that you will find yourself shooting the 223 more than the 308 and you will never miss having a 243.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by PaleRider

You forgot about Shrapnel........... smile

Shrap doesn't talk about himself. He just posts pictures of himself.

Travis

That's even worse..... whistle smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Royce
Here's an idea- If you want to cut down your reloading, just stick the 243 in the back of the gun safe, and don't shoot it much. It keeps ALL your options open at not much additional cost. It is entirely possible with the current ammo situation that 243 bullets might be more available than 223 bullets or even 308 bullets.
Royce

This is the genius level reply, unless you are getting a whole lot more % interest in your passbook savings, CD's and other convertible investment vehicles, guns are a GREAT investment, if you buy them right in the 1 st place. Put it in the back of the safe next to your stack of $50 bills,phkk minimizing. You asked. Magnum Man

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think I'm the only person on the internet that freely admits I only want to talk about myself.

Travis

Your frankness and candor humbles me and makes me feel unworthy. As a result I will now religiously follow your posts.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got rid of a .243 once.. I got a good one back in the fold, and won't make that mistake again.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't understand folks that sell guns.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Apparently some people missed the fact that you mostly shoot targets, but do hunt too, though hunting isn't as important.

The .243 will have the shortest barrel life of any. The other three will cover any centerfire hunting on earth.

Having said that, how does it compare?

How many rounds to wear out a .243 barrel vs say a 30.06?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Jorge,

think of Havre as "the little bit of North Dakota that fell off the back of a sugar beet truck"

Based on the opinion of people that have lived here a lot longer than I have, the consensus seems to be that Montana starts around Havre, and keeps getting better until you hit North Dakoduh.

Travis

Better than Browning maybe, but even then, not as scenic. grin

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
Apparently some people missed the fact that you mostly shoot targets, but do hunt too, though hunting isn't as important.

The .243 will have the shortest barrel life of any. The other three will cover any centerfire hunting on earth.

Having said that, how does it compare?

How many rounds to wear out a .243 barrel vs say a 30.06?

My web-gleaned perception is about 1500 vs 3500 before really noticeable accuracy loss. Very roughly half.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 07/04/15.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Skatchewan,

How long a .243 barrel lasts depends on how you use it, and your standard of accuracy. I shot out the barrel of my first .243 in less than 1500 rounds because back in those days it was popular as a "combination cartridge," for everything from prairie dogs to big game. I shot it pretty hot on PD's before learning that .243's don't last long that wasy, and there are much better rounds for shooting hundreds of rodents a day. But when I saw "shot out," it still shot well enough for most casual deer hunters.

Target shooters report 1500-2500 rounds with the .243, depending on the particular target game and barrel.

The two rounds several have suggested philthygeezer use instead are the .223 Remington and .308 Winchester. I have seen .223's that had shot more than 10,000 rounds, mostly at prairie dogs, that were still consistently killing prairie dogs at several hundred yards. And a .308 barrel will also last far longer than a .243 barrel even when the standard is target accuracy.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
For me, thanks to all the above input, I think that .223 and .308 will be my centrefire target cartridges. The others will be hunting and/or bear deterrent rifles if spending a lot of time afield in remote areas again. I would like to practice with all of them, but the .223 and .308 will be the starch in my diet.

After more reading, I think I would be better off building or buying a single shot Savage in 6BR than owning a .243. Sounds like a nice cartridge. I also like the idea of the 6x45mm wildcat since it seems a simple rebarrel of any .223 should allow the magazine to function.

But then I look back at the .223 and realize it would fill the same niche at far less cost when shooting from field positions.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 07/04/15.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.