Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
.If Texas knocks it down and builds a Walmart there, the worst that will happen is ..

the Mexicans will overrun it again...

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Your concern should be the Feds and why they have a finger in this particular Texan pie...

The Feds had no say about the Alamo before, they do run the other four missions in San Antonio. The UN has recognized the Alamo AND the other four missions as a unit.

UN recognition was advanced as an argument against restoring the Alamo grounds before under Castro's watch, now that recognition has become fact, the Feds can advance the notion that modifying the present Alamo in any way also threatens the recognition of the other missions.

Its all politics, but politics make things happen, or not.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's different when the big central authority comes at you isn't it? Just like it was when Lincoln invaded Virginia.

I thought it was the other half million Americans that invaded Virginia, trying to preserve the Union.

But hey, as long as Bexar County doesn't decide to secede, and take the Alamo with it, I'm good.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pardon my stupid-llary. But, why the ph ukk would we let the UN have any say at all about a National Monument, the Alamo?

What next? Controlling National Parks like Everglades and Yellowstone?

Last edited by local_dirt; 07/06/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
It's different when the big central authority comes at you isn't it? Just like it was when Lincoln invaded Virginia.

I thought it was the other half million Americans that invaded Virginia, trying to preserve the Union.

But hey, as long as Bexar County doesn't decide to secede, and take the Alamo with it, I'm good.

Birdwatcher

A little hypocrisy at work here isn't there? Not too much fun when its your ox gettin gored is it?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A little hypocrisy at work here isn't there? Not too much fun when its your ox gettin gored is it?

Your position is that the Union was not the collective heritage and property of all Americans.

The South participated in the free and fair election of November of 1860, but when they didn't like the results, decided to take their ball and go home. Except a majority of Americans at the time felt it weren't their ball to take or that subsequent war would have never happened. The fact that it turned out to be as bloody and bitterly contested as it was is indicative of the depth of sentiment on both sides.

As stated, Bexar County isn't actually proposing to take possession of the Alamo away from all Americans.

Birdwatcher

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Pardon my stupid-llary. But, why the ph ukk would we let the UN have any say at all about a National Monument, the Alamo?

What next? Controlling National Parks like Everglades and Yellowstone?

I pretty much feel the same. Exactly, the same.

This BS is totally out of control.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Your position is that the Union was not the collective heritage and property of all Americans.

The South participated in the free and fair election of November of 1860, but when they didn't like the results, decided to take their ball and go home. Except a majority of Americans at the time felt it weren't their ball to take or that subsequent war would have never happened. The fact that it turned out to be as bloody and bitterly contested as it was is indicative of the depth of sentiment on both sides.

As stated, Bexar County isn't actually proposing to take possession of the Alamo away from all Americans.

Birdwatcher

I just love nice liberal inconsistency. I am sure when all the local school districts approve of the UN actions you will be just fine with it.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Blue Bellies Blue Helmets, it's all good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For years certain elements push for the five San Antonio Missions to be on the United Nation's list of World Heritage Sites.

Last year the State of Texas takes over management of the Alamo from the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Phil Collins donates his large collection of Alamo-related artifacts with the understanding a museum would be established to house them, and the State sets up a coalition of prominent business leaders to raise 250 million for an entire revamp/restoration of the original Alamo grounds, now buried under buildings, pavement, flower beds and a cenotaph on the Alamo Plaza.

Plans are to restore the south and west walls of the old compound (removing a section of a street, and some 1880's storefronts and buildings), and to make the old multi-story Post Office building over the original north wall into a museum.

Enter the Feds, and the UN....

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2015/07/244631.htm

The Department of State welcomes yesterday’s decision by UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee to inscribe the San Antonio Missions in Texas, a series of four missions making up a U.S. National Historical Park, plus the Alamo, as a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Why does this matter?
Here's the UN regs regarding World Heritage sites...

http://whc.unesco.org/archive/opguide13-en.pdf

86. In relation to authenticity, the reconstruction of
archaeological remains or historic buildings or districts is
justifiable only in exceptional circumstances. Reconstruction
is acceptable only on the basis of complete and detailed
documentation and to no extent on conjecture.

The middle aged lady who is head of the San Antonio Conservation Society raised this objection at a city meeting headed by the very partisan Democrat then-Mayor Julian Castro not too long ago. She opposed any alterations, I dunno her politics.

Dammit, we gotta get this thing done while it can BE done. Already the National Park Service doesn't allow "confrontational" historical reenactments at the four missions it controls.

Fortunately it is difficult to imagine Gov. Abbott, Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush and the rest of the present Texas powers that be giving a rip what the UN says.

But.... applications at least for approval by the UN seem probable, and it gives the Feds grounds for objecting.

You don't suppose the present Administration would have any objection to celebrating and restoring something like the Alamo do ya? I mean that could get divisive mad

Hard to believe this is all coincidence.

Birdwatcher

This from the same jackass that would have the UN "settle" the War of Northern Aggression or similar conflicts around the self-determination of Americans.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I just love nice liberal inconsistency.

*Sigh*, there's always still snide..... ..and name-calling. Neither of which advances an argument. Which is why I studiously try to avoid the same. Now humor is another thing entirely grin

I am sure when all the local school districts approve of the UN actions you will be just fine with it.

Why would I be?

Anyways, have you ever spent any amount of time in Texas?

When the original Travis letter came here for the first time since it was hurried out 177 years before I was fortunate enough to be there and to get to stand at attention as part of the honor guard (we are all off to the left of this pic). Both those guys standing at attention on either side of the doorway are friends of mine, I just saw both of 'em there on the 4th, like me on their feet for ten hours on the Alamo grounds, voluntarily.

[Linked Image]

George, who also plays a very good Santa Anna but was kitted-out as a Tejano here, is actually a Baptist Preacher in Laredo. Mike is retired, handles his long rifle particularly well, and is among the most competent guys at period skills that I've seen. I live ten miles away, Mike lives about seventy, and George drives in clear from Laredo every time, about 150 miles away.

Here's the letter, incredibly well-preserved being it was hustled out on horseback for about eighty miles by two separate couriers, survived those exceedingly chaotic events, somehow ended up back in the hands of family for the next eighty years and then was sold to the state three generations later in time of financial need.

[Linked Image]

The point of all this being, as long as it was on display at the Alamo, the wait time on line to see that letter was three and four hours long.

I was expecting mostly old White guys, the Gettysburg crowd basically.

I was stunned at the number of Black folks and especially the number of Texas Hispanics and their families standing on line, come in from all over the state.

Do not underestimate the pride that Texans take in Texas, including the school districts.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just love nice liberal inconsistency.

*Sigh*, there's always still snide..... ..and name-calling. Neither of which advances and argument. Which is why I studiously try to avoid the same. Now humor is another thing entirely grin

I am sure when all the local school districts approve of the UN actions you will be just fine with it.

Why would I be?

Anyways, have you ever spent any amount of time in Texas?

When the original Travis letter came here I was fortunate enough to be there and get to stand at attention as part of the honor guard (we are all off to the left of this pic, tho' both those guys standing at attention on either side of the doorway are friends of mine, I just saw both of 'em there on the 4th, on their feet for ten hours on the Alamo grounds, voluntarily.

[Linked Image]

George, who also plays a very good Santa Anna but was kitted-out as a Tejano here, is actually a Baptist Preacher in Laredo. Mike is retired, handles his long rifle particularly well, and is among the most competent guys at period skills that I've seen.

Here's the letter, incredibly well-preserved being it was hustled out on horseback for about eighty miles by two separate couriers, survived those exceedingly chaotic events, somehow ended up back in the hands of family for the next eighty years and then was sold to the state three generations later in time of financial need.

[Linked Image]

The point of all this being, as long as it was on display the wait time on line to see that letter was three and four hours long.

I was expecting mostly old White guys, the Gettysburg crowd basically.

I was stunned at the number of Black folks and especially the number of Texas Hispanics and their families standing on line, come in from all over the State.

Do not underestimate the pride that Texans take in Texas, including the school districts.

Birdwatcher

Yep, the UN is fine for deciding international (or even domestic) disagreements, so long as you agree with them.

HBB had it exactly right; you have no consistency whatsoever.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, the UN is fine for deciding international (or even domestic) disagreements, so long as you agree with them.

I supported the UN??? In anything??? Where?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I supported the UN??? In anything??? Where?

It's for the children; that's all the matters, ever.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

????

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

I just love nice liberal inconsistency. I am sure when all the local school districts approve of the UN actions you will be just fine with it.

consistency, or inconsistency, makes no difference. What a liberal does, is use the issue in a manner that benefits his agenda. Truth, logic, ethics, consistency...........none of that matters, and none of that will be allowed to stand in the way.

Sam......

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

????

What he is trying to say is that if you can use a subjective and emotional argument, you can harness stupidity.

It's obvious you guys can't handle your historic treasures, so they should be taken from you by someone that cares.

In fact, there's a lot of things you aren't doing right....

Step aside...

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What he is trying to say is that if you can use a subjective and emotional argument, you can harness stupidity.

There are two bases for all these arguments.

One is a presumption that those who fought and died to preserve the Union were fighting themselves for the cause of a strong central government. Their own words say different, to them the Union was a gift given to them by their grandfather's generation. Smithwick again (there's a kazillion more, Smithwick is conveniently and eloquently online)...

http://www.lsjunction.com/olbooks/smithwic/otd26.htm

As the son of a revolutionary soldier, I could not raise my hand against the Union he had fought to establish. I had fought to make Texas a member of the Union, and I would not turn round and fight to undo my work....

Had there been an Andrew Jackson in the presidential chair, there would probably have been no war to speak of; his sentiments on the subject of secession being clearly defined in the case of South Carolina, twenty-nine years before. "By the Eternal, the Union must and shall be preserved." I was a Democrat of the Jackson school, my first vote having been cast for the hero of New Orleans, and when the term Democrat was made to mean secessionist I could go with the party no further. I was ever a man of strong convictions, and with me to think was to act. I was unalterably opposed to secession, both on principle and policy. I did not believe that the South would be benefitted thereby, nor did I believe that the North would tamely acquiesce in the disruption of the nation; and I felt a firm conviction that in case of an armed conflict the South must inevitably go down; a calamity from which I exerted all my little influence to save Texas, even taking the stump for the first time in my life, a course which placed me under the ban.

"Just wait till we get things fixed and we'll attend to your case," said one of the leaders, a man who never set foot in the country till all the danger from Mexicans and Indians had passed.

"By the eternal, the Union must and shall be preserved." Not coincidentally, there was a general inverse correlation between the prevalence of that sentiment in any given area, and the prevalence of slavery in those same areas.

The second presumption is that, after secession, the collective North represented a foreign power. You guys may equate more than half of the United States who's men paid with their blood to preserve the Union to the present United Nations if you wish.

No one is seceding in this case, rather the issue is a political one; a far Left Administration seeking to determine how we view the events of the past. That would be problem enough, but after all we are all Americans and free to form political special interest groups of our own.

The general issue here is giving ANY authority or supervision to a group as patently both foreign and odious as the UN.

The specifics of this case are, in practical terms, that this whole deal may ultimately screw what, IMHO and that of many others, are much-needed improvements and restorations to the site of that immortal battle, such that the events there may be better communicated to posterity.

YMMV,
Birdwatcher

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you afraid that people may someday not realize what the Alamo was all about?

It would be a shame if someone managed to rewrite history and erase important concepts from the minds of men.

I can't imagine the effect if such events were miscommunicated to posterity.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by MagMarc
A big central authority comes in and takes over a state issue, you should be fine with it and welcome them.

Your right! Lincoln did it all by hisself! Them other half a million guys who actually did the fighting weren't really fighting to "preserve the Union", even though they wrote that they were.

Can see you and I went to the same school of thought.... or took Virginia history in school during the same time period....

and ANY AMERICAN historical site, National Park Etc, is NONE of the UN's Damned Business....

Why does this nation even allow those clowns on our shores, much less participate in their BS, much less fund 90% of their shenanigans...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,099
Posts18,483,079
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.