Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kennyd
Don't miss the Old Faithful Lodge. It is a wonder to see all the log work. Since you are camping, if you can work it out, see if you can get a leftover cabin or room there for a shower one night. The plus side of that is that you can only get reservations in the lodge dining room if you are a guest. You didn't say how old daughters are; a bit older and they appreciate fine dining more. One of the best meals ever for the wife and me, complete with wine and dessert for a reasonable price. We have never made it to Mammoth yet. Thermopolis has an old hotel if you are so inclined with a private pool.

I am jealous.

I have not been to YNP for over 40 years when my Parents would take me as a child but in the dining room of the lodge I understand that one of my cousins made the art glass partitions for the booths after the big fire. I would like to go and see it all again...we used to stay in little cabins that were heated with wood burning stoves across the road from Old Faithful...saw it erupt many times.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to see mountain goats in YNP, go to the rocks SW of Mammoth, or to the rocks on the east end of the Lamar valley. I see them there regularly. Bring a spotting scope. For wolves, just north of Mt Washburn, overlooking antelope creek, I see wolves pretty often. Watched them kill a moose calf and wound the cow too. Go after Labor Day if you can, the Asians are gone by then. If you have a spotting scope set up, people will ask what you see, tell them you don't see anything or you will have to share your scope with them.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
If you want to see mountain goats in YNP, go to the rocks SW of Mammoth, or to the rocks on the east end of the Lamar valley. I see them there regularly. Bring a spotting scope. For wolves, just north of Mt Washburn, overlooking antelope creek, I see wolves pretty often.

Wish I had this info before I left. I had a spotter, but needed another so the girls wouldn't have to share. The Asians reminded me of cattle the way they get all jammed up, then one will break away and the rest follow. lol
I didn't care for the commercialization of the park, but it was still amazing nonetheless. Next summer I believe we might go to Glacier np.

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30Herrett
Hello Everyone!
I am leaving in a couple of weeks for our first trip to YNP with my two daughters. I've read everything I can find about the area, but would appreciate any info, tips, warnings, etc. Planning on being there about a week tent camping. Photography, hiking, mountain biking, and fishing are on the agenda. Any input is welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Hope you had a good trip.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 08/12/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Originally Posted by 30Herrett
Hello Everyone!
I am leaving in a couple of weeks for our first trip to YNP with my two daughters. I've read everything I can find about the area, but would appreciate any info, tips, warnings, etc. Planning on being there about a week tent camping. Photography, hiking, mountain biking, and fishing are on the agenda. Any input is welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Hope you had a good trip.

We did! It was my first time as well, and I have to say I was in awe. I highly recommend it be put on everyone's bucket list.
Other than breaking down outside of Casper, Wy (#4 injector line ruptured...again), everything went great!
I really appreciated everyone's input. This is an awesome site with knowledgeable, good hearted members whom I can't thank enough!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent.

Glacier is a smoky mess right now. My Dad and I took a spin up over Logan pass from Kalispell. We timed it reasonably well as it had been smoked up and a little overcast, were able to park and take a short hike. The Four Amigos bighorns were right next to the road but neither of us were ready and there wasn't a pull off.
So, watched the tourists feed the gophers, admired the silhouettes of mountains, then drove to St Mary through the fire area. Sunrift Gorge got burned pretty well, on the bright side the fire opened up new lake views. Hopefully it wasn't so hot as to kill the grass, but right now, it's nuked about 40 percent, burned bad about another 40 and 20 percent might keep live trees.
Not a good time to enjoy Glacier if you are not a local.
We then went up to Many Glacier, smoky there too, Sherburne reservoir is WAY down. Hotel is full, however. Then had a nice drive in Dad's hot car down 89 and 49 to East Glacier, then home on 2 over Marias. The Thompson Creek fire was blowing a good column of smoke, which will choke out St Mary again tonight.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Excellent.

Glacier is a smoky mess right now. My Dad and I took a spin up over Logan pass from Kalispell. We timed it reasonably well as it had been smoked up and a little overcast, were able to park and take a short hike. The Four Amigos bighorns were right next to the road but neither of us were ready and there wasn't a pull off.
So, watched the tourists feed the gophers, admired the silhouettes of mountains, then drove to St Mary through the fire area. Sunrift Gorge got burned pretty well, on the bright side the fire opened up new lake views. Hopefully it wasn't so hot as to kill the grass, but right now, it's nuked about 40 percent, burned bad about another 40 and 20 percent might keep live trees.
Not a good time to enjoy Glacier if you are not a local.
We then went up to Many Glacier, smoky there too, Sherburne reservoir is WAY down. Hotel is full, however. Then had a nice drive in Dad's hot car down 89 and 49 to East Glacier, then home on 2 over Marias. The Thompson Creek fire was blowing a good column of smoke, which will choke out St Mary again tonight.

I will have to check back with you next spring for an update.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tag

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Don,t get to close to thermal pools edges are undermined!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,719
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.