-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always been a Ford and Toyota man but the new Chevys and GMCs are really great looking trucks. I may buy one. I never thought I'd say that.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They certainly have a place. I NEED a 3/4 ton or more diesel, so I bought a Dodge this summer. I just have my eyes wide open, and repair bills will not come as a surprise. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My buddy has a 2005 Tundra. It's a nice truck. His only complaint is the gas mileage. It gets about 13 MPG.
When I finally decide to say goodbye to my 1992 Dodge Ram (only 59,000 miles!), I plan on buying a Toyota Tacoma.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
They certainly have a place. I NEED a 3/4 ton or more diesel, so I bought a Dodge this summer. I just have my eyes wide open, and repair bills will not come as a surprise. FWIW, Dutch.

I was in the same boat, though honestly I could live with a good 1/2 ton diesel, but they currently don't exist. So I took my lumps with the 2500 quad cab cummins. So far my experience is I have greatly regretted straying from Toyota and going to Dodge based on the sales and service experience. Have dealt with several toy dealerships in different states and never had a problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LONG BALL
My buddy has a 2005 Tundra. It's a nice truck. His only complaint is the gas mileage. It gets about 13 MPG.
When I finally decide to say goodbye to my 1992 Dodge Ram (only 59,000 miles!), I plan on buying a Toyota Tacoma.

Is that an LD truck? Holly smokes even my wifes Hemi gets 14 MPG. I really like the New F-150. Don't hurt any that Ford is pumping millions into our local economy.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I average 15/16 mpg on my 01 Tundra. As good as 19/20 on strictly highway, and as low sometimes as 13 mpg in 4 wheel drive in snow/ice, and offroad.

Hunter01

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I won't buy a vehicle from a company that call americans FAT LAZY AND STUPID SORRY.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by nwtf
I won't buy a vehicle from a company that call americans FAT LAZY AND STUPID SORRY.

Hey! I'm not stupid!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a construction company for over 25 years. We maintain a pretty good sized fleet of pickup trucks. Most are 1/2 or 3/4 ton models. Our trucks are hard working rigs used and driven hard each and every day for years on end. We keep em and run em hard until they are flat out dead and then we usually donate them to a charity. We do most of our own maintenence and have developed a pretty good sense for what a REAL pickup is. Thru the years we have owned nearly every type truck out there and I can tell you this from my observations. 3/4 tons are more durable than 1/2 tons, DUH! Chevy is slightly ahead of Ford as far as durability and overall performance. Dodge places a solid 3rd. The Toyotas, Tundras, and all the other foreign p/u attempts don't even come close to making the grade. A Tundra would be dead and gone in my fleet by 50-75K miles. We have destroyed T-100s in no time flat!! I have yet to find one of the imports that will make it very long in my business. Most other contractors I know of feel much the same. The import trucks seem to me to be flimsy and aren't built to do anything but transport people and ocassional groceries. Anyome who doesn't agree can send me a test model and I'll have some of my boys put it thru the paces. IF I can talk one of them into driving it!! 163bc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your observations appear to be based on the faulty premise that all PU owners use their trucks for actual PU-type work.

wink

Most folks buy PUs for the occaisonal few sheets of plywood; for trailering a few ATVS or a boat; coupla hunting trips per year, or just drive them back and forth to the office every day like an automobile. Some think their trucks are bullet proof because they can put 200K miles on 'em just driving about commuting.

These trucks are easily-distinguishable from the PUs that do real work every day: They are still showroom-shiny and have few scrapes, dings or missing body parts, like construction PUs have on 'em. Plus their springs ain't squatted down from hauling a ton of concrete blocks or a ton of gravel, from time to time.

Hell, I even know a few guys that actually haul stuff on or behind their 3/4 ton diesels. ;O)

My favorite work truck was the 1969 Chevy C-10 that my employer had bought new and I drove for almost 20 years. Had them awful rear coil springs, but would handle some pretty wicked loads anyway, 6 cyl. engine and all. Often hauled loads of concrete blocks from one jobsite to another, with the step bumper almost on the road.

Once threw some large pieces of cardboard in the bed, had a scoop of coldpatch dumped in it at a local quarry/asphalt supplier. The payload was 2100lbs according to the scaleman. Bumper wasn't anywhere's near being on the road like with them loads of concrete blocks, so we figured those loads musta exceeded a ton and then some. Shoulda never sold that ol' truck. It's the only beater I never had to walk away from.

Last edited by dubePA; 03/03/07.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, Agree. If someone wants to settle for second best just because of what someone said, then they can just do so. Maybe there is some truth in what was said. Toyota isn't #1 for nothing. Some folks would cut off their noses to spite themselves. To each his (nwtf) own. Most people aren't stupid.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I was taking issue with being stupid. I wasn't denying that I was fat and lazy. smile Mebbe I should have put a smiley in there the first time or something.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The most recent issue of Motor Trend ranks the new Silverado over the Tundra, for whatever that may be worth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For what it is worth, I've never taken much stock in what Motor Trend has said. I've found a lot of conflicting things dealing with their reports. They also rated the Titan above the Tundra. I've had both and although the Titan is a good truck, it in no way compares to the Tundra. Consumer Report is the bible that sets the standand as the report card to pay attention to. They rated the Titan as one of the vehicles to avoid. These reports are based on actual owner surveys. They rated the Tundra and Honda Ridgeline on top, followed by Chevy, then Titan, then Ford, with Dodge on the bottom of the list.So go figure. To each his own I guess. Depends on who you listen to and what you read.
Hunter01

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunter01
(sic)
Most people aren't stupid.

I've thought that, but then you look at how folks vote in elections, and are often lead to the conclusion that there are an aweful lot of stupid people.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, but Consumer Reports just rated the Ridgeline as the "most able" pickup.

I was "this close" to writing them a letter, telling them to come on out, throw a ton of feed in the back, and drive it across the frozen pasture to feed. Do that for a week, and let's see if the back doors still close.......

Able, my rear.... Those East Coast boys don't know what to do with a pickup if it t-boned them..... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sad to say most folks buying pickups want the image of a truck, yet the ride of a car, and manufacturers are perverting their offerings to cater to that.

Somebody shoot me if I ever consider getting a cadilac pickup!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Agree, many of the car mags are staffed with "car guys" so the trucks used as trucks doesn't really play into their ratings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Ya so the Toyos are made here where does the money made on them go. Oh thats right JAPAN.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, how about to the U.S. workers who work there and make them?????????????????????? Or do they work for nothing at the U.S. Toyota factory? Bread on the table to lots of U.S. citizens.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dutch
Yeah, and where does the money that I save on repairs? Oh, yeah, MY POCKET. JMO, Dutch.

Ditto on that one Dutch. Just put gas in them and go.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,887 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,406
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.