Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i picked up this supermatic, a number of years ago, probably sold to me because it wasn't workin right as i discovered.
Pulled it out the other day to take another look. Last time i shot it, it was not feeding properly and stovepiping. It only has the supermatic on the side, not trophy, or citation etc.
I think(?) maybe it's a m100 pistol, anybody can confirm that?
has nice adjustible sights on the back, and weights(detachible) under the barrel.
The mag that came with it extends out the base of the gun, leading me to think the mag was meant for one of the military models, and is incorrect for this version. Anybody know?
And i understand these are mag sensitive, and i do not want to buy a KKK aftermarket mag. Anybody know where to find the right one for it? I have sent a email to histandard in texas, but no answer as of yet.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clean it up, replace the springs and get a new magazine, should start working just fine. Kinda hard to kill a High Standard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The experts on these are on Rimfire central . From what I've read you need factory magazines in these pistols. A tool is sold to adjust the magazine feed lips. These are heat treated to stay in adjustment.
I've been looking at these pistols for some time. HS Houston and Brownells are your source for magazines. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I checked brownells at the suggestion of a friend, but the only thing they seemed to have in mags were the after market Tripple K. The HS houston i have emailed. And I did see the tool several places including brownells.
I think the issue is in that mag not being the right one.
Also, this has the easy detach barrel, and i was snooping around looking for a short barrel to add to it. No luck so far.
I have a HB model made around 1948 that is one sweet shooting little gun. I am going to check on rimfire central, i hadn't thought of that.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I checked brownells at the suggestion of a friend, but the only thing they seemed to have in mags were the after market Tripple K. The HS houston i have emailed. And I did see the tool several places including brownells.
I think the issue is in that mag not being the right one.
Also, this has the easy detach barrel, and i was snooping around looking for a short barrel to add to it. No luck so far.
I have a HB model made around 1948 that is one sweet shooting little gun. I am going to check on rimfire central, i hadn't thought of that.

Call Hi Standard in Houston; ask for Stan Chapman. He'll hook you up with a mag and a barrel. Better yet, send your gun to them and have them fit and test-fire a couple of mags and a new barrel. They do excellent work.
Bob

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Charlie Petty wrote the High Standard book. He can be found at www.gunhub.com. Logon, he's a great guy and he will respond to you.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have had one for about 40 years, Back then it ran on any ammo that I could find. Had not shot it for about 25 years and pulled it out to shoot it, same problem. I tried American Eagle, Blazer, nothing but stove pipes that led to feeding problems. Bought some CCI Mini mags it it runs great. No more stove pipes and feeds fine. I have no Idea why it works fine with the CCI but it does. I hardly ever shoot it so I just have not checked it out better. Good luck.
The mag fits flush with the grip .

Last edited by Scott62; 07/22/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Feeding problems, stove piping on a gun like that is gonna most always be the clip.

I bought a Supermatic Trophy with the 9" barrel with compensator and the weights, used for $40 back in the '60's. It would go full auto and all that action had cracked the frame. I sent it back to Hi Standard and they rebuilt it, stamping the old serial number on the new steel frame. I still have it. I bought additional slides and barrels and thus have a set of options for that gun.

Those are great guns, probably near the top of the list for all time great target .22's. The S&W 41 would be on that list, but I like the HS better than the 41.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you can probably find a magazine on EBay

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Victor, which also has feeding issues. The mag spring does not seem that strong, so it's worth a look.

There are HS mags on Ebay but I wonder if they are for sale because they don't work smile

High Standard does show to be out of stock on magazines but I may try one of their springs - or else stretch out the one in my mag, and re-stress relieve it to restore length and tension.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
See if you can order just the spring and install it yourself.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I've got a Victor, which also has feeding issues. The mag spring does not seem that strong, so it's worth a look.

There are HS mags on Ebay but I wonder if they are for sale because they don't work smile

High Standard does show to be out of stock on magazines but I may try one of their springs - or else stretch out the one in my mag, and re-stress relieve it to restore length and tension.

I got three emails back, brownells, hoosier, and hs-houston, none had the right clip. I DID manage to find an original factory mag on ebay, strangely enough. One of the interesting differences in these mags is the height of the lips, and if they have been case hardened. They evidently need to be adjusted for the ammo used, and particular pistol. A lot of the newer made ones are made by KKK industries, and just don't work very well. The original factory mags had 5, and 10 indicating rounds on the side. The one i nailed had hi standard on the bottom.
One recommendation was to remove the firing pin etc and fill a mag with bullets and work them through the action seeing how the bullets line up. The issue being is if the lips are not supporting the round properly it won't line up with the barrel.
We will see.
I think i might order some new springs from wolfe too, given the age of the gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MAGAZINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I am very very well versed in High Standards and their proclivities. They are highly sensitive with the feed lips. my Uncle bought some aftermarket mags and it took quite a bit of tweaking to get them to feed reliably. I have old factory mags and the feeding so far is flawless with them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,200
Posts18,503,675
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.