D
No offense, but you need a new scale

300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
No offense, but you need a new scale

Sharp as a tack my friend, sharp as a tack....LOL!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by SNAP
Weight?

Looks pretty heavy to me... Good for packing in the timber all day?????

my thoughts exactly. You ain't gonna be totin that thing all day long in any of the spots I elk hunt. I wish you luck.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by SNAP
Weight?

Looks pretty heavy to me... Good for packing in the timber all day?????

my thoughts exactly. You ain't gonna be totin that thing all day long in any of the spots I elk hunt. I wish you luck.

Thanks.......

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't know why I even care but it is amazing all the weight comments. It would sure help if custom barrel makers would just offer two contours. One for hunting one for target. If custom stock makers would do same even better. That way guys like 300mag could get it right and build a custom hunting rifle that is Internet approved.

You've built what 23 rifles along this same blueprint?....grin. You're bound to meet the needs of others eventually....dang

Carry on guys keep asking how much it weighs. Kinda like asking about fuel mileage when your friend shows up in a muscle car

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
"Lighten up guys" can't you be happy for someone else!!! It's a great build ,love the caliber ,brake and the whole setup,Congrats...I'm very happy with my 338 w/mag ,wishing you all the best enjoying her. 185s to 210s shine and shoot flat 225 -230 are a good weight also for bigger critters,250 will get your attention but kick more,over all an extremely vercital round good luck, hey guys Build one CUSTOM , live a little you know what I'm talking about Life's to short as it is Might just as well Treat yourself and be Happy n Proud ,enough said fred...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Carry on guys keep asking how much it weighs. Kinda like asking about fuel mileage when your friend shows up in a muscle car

It's like asking about fuel mileage with a muscle car, when the friend bought the car for a 100 mile daily commute. Strange choice for the job at hand, similar to an overweight rifle for elk country.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Looks like lots of us would not be hunting if we were still saddled with an old model 70 and 4x scope that weighted about 9.5 pounds...

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very nice rifle and a great caliber!! It's begging for 210 SS II' s...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Kaleb

It's like asking about fuel mileage with a muscle car, when the friend bought the car for a 100 mile daily commute. Strange choice for the job at hand, similar to an overweight rifle for elk country.

That's your opinion. I build guns a little different than that too but it's not the point. Hey if the mans got the funds why not the muscle car for commute?? I try to be more opened minded than to think everyone should be custom rifles like I do.

If he was trying to build a lighter weight rifle and ordered these same parts I'd advise against it. My point is he knows exactly what he'll end up with. He's built many of these rifles and obviously killed the chit outta stuff too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Looks like lots of us would not be hunting if we were still saddled with an old model 70 and 4x scope that weighted about 9.5 pounds...

My "old" model 70 (yes it's a 338 win mag as well) weighs 7 3/4 pounds with the 3-9 scope and ammo. Just sayin...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Could care less what she weighs, that's a super sexy shootin iron that I'd gladly carry a couple ounces on.... and from experience, it'll kill the chit outta stuff... grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
bsa, sounds pretty good... Is it still the std. wood stock and 25 " barrel?? They always seemed fairly heavy to me, but I like heavy rifles..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
bsa, sounds pretty good... Is it still the std. wood stock and 25 " barrel?? They always seemed fairly heavy to me, but I like heavy rifles..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Nope, I sold my original Alaskan when I found a custom 338. It's in a brown precision with a custom 24" stainless barrel. Built on an H&H receiver. I'm not saying I don't like the OP's rifle, please don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful rifle and will no doubt smack an elk at very long range. Just wouldn't suit my needs since I hunt a lot of timber and a lot of walking in steep mountainous areas. Here's my 338 before I mounted the Swaro on it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wish the OP luck on his elk hunt with his new rifle this year. May a big one fall to the first pull of the trigger...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I loved the standard wt original Alsakan too, but sold it to EricM here at the fire. I checked the weight with the 3-9x40 that I used during elk season. I didn't mind the weight of the rifle:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As an aside: EricM sent it to Gene Simillion for a new Echols legend. It should be a little lighter (maybe 8.5 pounds), but in my opinion the perfect weight for a 338 win mag. Mine may be a tad light, but packs and balances very nicely..

BSA MAGA
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Appreciate all comments & thoughts....no worries here.

Good luck to everyone this hunting season....light or heavy rifle!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Appreciate all comments & thoughts....no worries here.

Good luck to everyone this hunting season....light or heavy rifle!!

Thanks and go Steelers!!!! laugh

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Yes, good luck to all of you elk hunters.. Have two licenses this fall.. A general and a late cow.. I usually only hunt for elk for the freezer.. And these days not to seriously.. Hope you all bag one bigger than you ever hoped for...

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.