Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A frekin Vega???

Do you have any idea how much casting technology has changed... since the '70s?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I assume that it still has a "fully-boxed frame".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Originally Posted by rost495
run al hulls in salt water for quite a few years now... take to the carwash when done, although I can't get under the poly on the bottom of the hull.

Have seen no issues so far. Been doing this a bit over 10 years now IIRC.

If that won't tell how durable aluminum is in a salt environment, nothing will.

Take one of our carrier based warplanes and remove all the corrosion mitigation measures (galvanic, surface attack, etc) from the skins and substructure and see how durable aluminum is in a maritime environment. Crevice corrosion alone would be off the charts. Certainly an extreme case but shows its use in a saline environment has to be vetted thoroughly.

Over 20 years in the salt, from May/June to October:

[Linked Image]

It sits at anchor except for the occasional storm when it gets pulled out. There are no significant corrosion issues with this hull yet. Stray electrical current and ‘other’ metals need to be contained.

Additionally, the Honda motor it is powered by was taken apart significantly the summer. No bolts were stripped or broken in the process. The flywheel (steel) was severely corroded where water got trapped a few years ago during a near-submersion. Also some of the aluminum in the same are (castings) showed significant pitting. The metal in these areas however were in a constant saltwater bath for over 5 years. Neither the motor nor the hull ever get rinsed except by the rain.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
A frekin Vega???

Do you have any idea how much casting technology has changed... since the '70s?

Jeez, ya think?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe those original Vega engines were not sleeved. Aluminum is not up to that kind of friction.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The cosworth vega was the chit.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GunReader
I believe those original Vega engines were not sleeved. Aluminum is not up to that kind of friction.

Yup, they were sleeveless. Now we're pouring the aluminum around the sleeves which are part of the core package.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yup, they were sleeveless. Now we're pouring the aluminum around the sleeves which are part of the core package.

The cast aluminum in those engines also had a high silicon content and the associated hard particles did not do so well at the cylinder wall. Aluminum alloys have come along way since then as noted.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The cast aluminum in those engines also had a high silicon content and the associated hard particles did not do so well at the cylinder wall. Aluminum alloys have come along way since then as noted.

We've also learned how to increase the density of the aluminum in areas that require strength.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Originally Posted by rost495
run al hulls in salt water for quite a few years now... take to the carwash when done, although I can't get under the poly on the bottom of the hull.

Have seen no issues so far. Been doing this a bit over 10 years now IIRC.

If that won't tell how durable aluminum is in a salt environment, nothing will.

Take one of our carrier based warplanes and remove all the corrosion mitigation measures (galvanic, surface attack, etc) from the skins and substructure and see how durable aluminum is in a maritime environment. Crevice corrosion alone would be off the charts. Certainly an extreme case but shows its use in a saline environment has to be vetted thoroughly.

Over 20 years in the salt, from May/June to October:

[Linked Image]

It sits at anchor except for the occasional storm when it gets pulled out. There are no significant corrosion issues with this hull yet. Stray electrical current and ‘other’ metals need to be contained.

Additionally, the Honda motor it is powered by was taken apart significantly the summer. No bolts were stripped or broken in the process. The flywheel (steel) was severely corroded where water got trapped a few years ago during a near-submersion. Also some of the aluminum in the same are (castings) showed significant pitting. The metal in these areas however were in a constant saltwater bath for over 5 years. Neither the motor nor the hull ever get rinsed except by the rain.

Aluminum oxide is a great corrosion mitigator and forms almost immediately when fresh aluminum is exposed. It helps aluminum watercraft immensely. Add a bunch of fasteners (of dissimilar metal) to a boat hull without any protection measures and things get interesting. Welded aluminum boats are a great thing. Again, the use of aluminum in a saline/chloride environment is not a half hazard implementation. The galvanic relationships have to be identified and one better be on the right side of the cathodic potential. And if critical stresses get added to the mix...then things start happening exponentially.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

We've also learned how to increase the density of the aluminum in areas that require strength.

Very good point...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crestliner boat
Audi a8
Whats not to like?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The primary purpose of going to aluminum was to increase bed payload.

There is likely some minor increase in fuel economy with reduced weight in acceleration. Trucks in general have the aerodynamics of a brick and as such suffer fuel economy tremendously at higher speeds. I have managed a best of 20.5 mpg in my Tundra stuck at 55 mph (220 miles of highway on a high traffic day). At a more normal 70-75 I average 15. That's all aerodynamics. I would expect a lighter truck to do better at 55. After that CD extracts a stiff price.

Regardless, the primary purpose of aluminum was to win the Payload Wars.

Candidly, I'm good with that.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have less of an issue with the F150 AL body than I do with that 2.7l turbo engine (and transmission). Long term durability as well as performance for anyone who actually uses their pickup as a truck are big questions for me. Only time will tell.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Government test revealed in todays Dallas Morning News say the F150 extended cabs are a death trap in collision tests. They added a steel shell on the crew cabs.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Close. There is no "shell" difference.

F150 crash test

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Government test revealed in todays Dallas Morning News say the F150 extended cabs are a death trap in collision tests. They added a steel shell on the crew cabs.

Link?

Camp is where you make it.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just heard the trucks are now much more to expensive to repair so insurance is about 25% more according to Guy I work with.

He said it's the most quiet truck and best ride he has ever had in a truck

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
So much for conjecture, how about some facts? Let's start with the fact that currently the new F-150 COSTS NO MORE TO INSURE than the previous generation truck.

Click Here

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fishdog52
I have less of an issue with the F150 AL body than I do with that 2.7l turbo engine (and transmission). Long term durability as well as performance for anyone who actually uses their pickup as a truck are big questions for me. Only time will tell.

Watch the video -

Then watch out for that new F-150 coming up in your rear view mirror - if it has the 2.7L twin turbo, it's gonna smoke your V8 whatever.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,147
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.